Select to view content in your preferred language

Address points not on actual structure , but are on end of driveway

04-22-2019 01:47 PM
Labels (1)
NikkiHill
Occasional Contributor

There is an app my County elections office hosted on ArcGIS Online. This app and the assessor’s office app have one fatal flaw, the address points created by the County 911 are placed at the end of the driveways. When using this address point layer as the search layer which is the most comprehensive layer database my county has, creates the problem because boundaries for jurisdictions usually follows the parcel lines. And if the address point is outside of the parcel at the end of the driveway the return district/precinct/levee can be wrong.

One major undertaking between myself, the County 911 will be coming up with a way to get one addressing layer with all address points on the structure. That way when I go to create an application, the district, levee, or area I am looking for would be accurately represented when I put in an address.

I am not experienced in scripts, let alone know where to even enter it in ArcPro. Is there a way to do this less painfully than moving my 35000+ address points to be located on top of the structure instead of at the end of the driveways?

20 Replies
BrianOevermann
Frequent Contributor

For polygon centroids check out ET GeoWizards. There is a point to polygon tool and can even force it to create the centroid within the polygon (for those oddly shaped polys for which the centroid would fall outside). No Advanced license needed.

BrianOevermann
Frequent Contributor

I'll ask another question: What other attributes are stored in the address point data? You somewhat imply that the 911 address data is used by the Assessor (or maybe I should read that as "the Assessor has the same problem as I do"?). Perhaps a parcel ID has been added to the 911 data for Assessor use?

This is likely wishful thinking but if a parcel ID is in the address data then your process just got 1000% easier.

NikkiHill
Occasional Contributor

Oh yes! I have PINS. The Accessor and 911 use the same data.

Cheers,

Nikki R. Hill

GIS Coordinator

Jasper County, MO

Jasper County Courthouse

BrianOevermann
Frequent Contributor

Create your parcel centroids. If the process doesn't populate a field containing the PIN from your parcel layer, intersect your centroids with the parcel polys to get the PIN into your centroid layer. Add all of the relevant fields from your address layer to the centroid layer.

Now, do a join from the address layer to the centroid layer using the PIN as the key. Then use the Field Calculator to calculate the values of the fields in the address layer to the centroid layer fields.

The centroid may not be over the actual structure but it will at least be within the parcel. You can optionally move the centroid over the structure based upon imagery if that is a goal.

Edit [to add missing info]: Once you've calculated the values into the centroid layer fields you can remove the join. Doing a spatial join to get the relevant data across would also be a valid--more than one way to get from point A to point B!

NikkiHill
Occasional Contributor

Thank this worked!

Cheers,​

Nikki R. Hill

GIS Coordinator

Jasper County, MO

Jasper County Courthouse

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

So is your final result address points on the structure of a parcel or at the centroid of the parcel?

0 Kudos
NikkiHill
Occasional Contributor

It is on the Centroid, which is a lot better than where it was. Thank you so much for all your help!

Cheers,

Nikki R. Hill

GIS Coordinator

Jasper County, MO

Jasper County Courthouse

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Typically E911/911 address points at the end of the driveway is purposeful.  As much as I see the issue that causes for the types of analyses you want to do, changing the address point to the middle of a structure can create some grave consequences is rural areas with large lots and long driveways.  What if the shortest distance between a structure and a road isn't the driveway?  Are the first responder and police suppose to go off-road to get to the structure?

Before moving an address point, I suggest you consider creating a second address point instead of trying to make one address point rule them all.  I personally would put operational and safety concerns above analysis issues when deciding where a single address point should be located.

NikkiHill
Occasional Contributor

This is a really great point. Thank you!

Cheers,​

Nikki R. Hill

GIS Coordinator

Jasper County, MO

Jasper County Courthouse

0 Kudos
BrianOevermann
Frequent Contributor

Joshua makes some great points regarding why the address points are at the ends of driveways but there are ways you can mitigate some of the concerns he brings up.

My former job was with a rural county in Montana with some large lots, long driveways, and structures not even visible from the road. My current job is with a city in Washington State with lots of trees where some homes even on smaller lots are not visible from the street. Different environments but similar issues.

In both of these organizations we created driveway segments for structures where access from the road was not very obvious or simply confusing. And at least in my current job, I created a "Street class" field to classify the streets for better/easier symbology, including completely filtering out certain types of streets. This makes it easy to completely drop the driveways on maps where their inclusion is unnecessary and simply clutters up things. These driveway segments have zero address ranges and a discrete intersection node is NOT created where it connects to the street (no slicing and dicing of the street segments just to accommodate driveways).

Another possible method is for you to create your "analysis-capable" address points as discussed in earlier messages (purely as a means to do what follows), create X,Y fields in the data and calculate the values of the point into those fields. Then add equivalent X,Y fields to the existing 911 address point layer and cross those "analysis X,Y" fields over. Now whenever you need to perform analysis you would create an event layer using the analysis coordinates and then perform your analysis. This would eliminate you needing to maintain two address point layers that must be kept in sync but realistically adds some process overhead, particularly if you plan to do much analysis. I admittedly would not choose this method if at all possible but I understand that some organizations might have some constraints for which this might be the only way to accommodate needs.

You definitely want to gather all of your stakeholders and have a discussion of the pros and cons of various methodologies if your aim is to maintain a single address point layer that will meet everyone's needs.