Spatial Analyst? Query? Help!

11-08-2013 10:54 AM
ShaelynHill
New Contributor

A co-worker of mine is asking me to do something for him that he claims a GIS person at his old company was able to do. I, however, from his description can't for the life of me figure out what he's wanting.

We have a map of a study area and we have different point, line and polygon features (ditches, streams, wetlands, etc.) What he is wanting is a quick output table that has information about how much of these features (length/area) are within this study area. Photo example below...
Currently I am clipping the features to the study area shape and then exporting the report of the table and then combining the tables in Excel.

According to my co-worker (who isn't very familiar with GIS) there is a way to "run a query in the spatial analyst tool" that will give me the calculations I'm wanting all in a single table without having to actually clip the features.

I've tried searching on Google and haven't even came up with anything close to what he's trying to explain to me. So I figured I would ask to see if anyone has any ideas how to do something similar? Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Waan
by
Occasional Contributor
If your data is all vector-based, I don't think Spatial Analyst is the way to go. It sounds like you could get some quick results after your clip by right-clicking the feature length/area column headers in the attribute table and going to "Statistics".

If you're doing this a lot, the tool "Summary Statistics" might be useful (ArcToolobx > Analysis Tools > Statistics > Summary Statistics).

Last, "Calculate Areas" could be useful too (ArcToolbox > Spatial Statistics Tools > Utilities > Calculate Areas).

-W
0 Kudos
NidhinKarthikeyan
Occasional Contributor III
You can use Python to calculate field.
0 Kudos