Clustering Points in close proximity to each other

02-25-2013 08:57 AM
ObiOfoegbu
New Contributor
Hello,

I am finding it difficult to get a solution to my problem.

I have about 2,000 geocoded locations. Some points are less than 10 miles away from each other and so I would like to cluster these points and then plot a route using clustered locations (makes routing look cleaner).

I tried the Integrate tool and set tolerance to 25 miles but it does not retain information of all points (doesnt sum up fields in the feature class just displays the center point of the integral)

I downloaded the R tool but couldnt get it to work. Also looked into Buffer tool but again it did not sum up the individual fields within the buffer just drew circles around each point.

Can anyone help? The goal is to get my 2000 pts to about 200 by specifying that if a group of points are 25 miles away from each they count as 1, their individual fields should thus be summed up since it is like an aggregate of the points. Thanks.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RogerF
by
Occasional Contributor
Did you find the solution for this ? I've to work on similar problem. Please let me know.
0 Kudos
ObiOfoegbu
New Contributor
Unfortunately, I haven't figured it out yet.

However, I was able to find a work around when working with a smaller dataset.
first, duplicated your geocoded points by exporting them as a shapefile.
Working with your new shapefile, use the integrate tool and specify the distance (miles or meters).
This would generate a new integrated shapefile with fewer points (each point at the epicenter based on your distance criteria)
you then manually copy the integrated points to an excel sheet using the identify tool and clicking on each integrated shapefile.\

Like I said this only works on very small datasets. Since it gets very rigorous.

Still waiting for a smarter way of doing this. Hope it helps.
0 Kudos
MarthaMüll
New Contributor
Hi,

there is a new tool in ESRI Maps for Office that may solve your problem.
It's called "Cluster Features". Here's the description.
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/esri-maps-office/index.html#/Cluster_features/029300000010000000...
I wonder if this tool is available in ArcGIS for Desktop too.

Martha
0 Kudos
ivanivanov1
New Contributor II
Hi
I think i have a solution...sort of.

After you use the Integrate tool you will get the centres of the clusters that you want, am I correct?
When you have these, make a buffer of 25 miles around them. Then in model builder make model which selects all points
within the buffer and gives them the number of the buffer (say OID) in a new field say 'Bufferaloc",  after that all your geocodedpoints will have a field which contains the number of the buffer that they are into.
After that just Dissolve based on that field and you will be able to retain attributes.
Just an idea...
Ivan