Assign attributes

07-18-2016 11:10 PM
SatyanarayanaNarmala
New Contributor III

Hi,  i have a view in postgres view comprising of X Y coordinates (Non-spatial) and a polygon layer(spatial).  i need to assign the polygon attributes to the XY table under which the coordinates are falling without any intermediate stages like creating a point feature class from the view.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

You can make an XY event layer from the XY table in ArcMap, which is sort of like a temporary feature class.

Then a spatial join between the points and the polygons should enable you to calculate the attributes from one to the other.

SatyanarayanaNarmala
New Contributor III

Can i do it directly, with out any intermediate stage such as converting the XY event theme to point then spatial join.

NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Well, I do not know what your db is, but if it is a spatially enabled database, there will be ways to create a temporary geometry from the points then do some overlay inside the db in SQL. But I am not an expert in that.

But you will need some form of geometry both sides to use any sort of spatial query.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I don't know anything about postgres, but if you are just trying to add the polygon fields to the point file...and assuming they have some type of common field between the two tables, and/or you can add a common field, and/or, they all are in on polygon, you may want to look at Join Field—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

That is a lot of assumptions, but without having some intermediate step to make the XY coordinates become spatially aware, you would have to do a lot more work, and most likely some type of python or other program.  There may be tools that already automate that (i.e., creating the temp spatial, join, and then wipe our the temp file), but I don't know of one off hand.

0 Kudos