Select to view content in your preferred language

Does anyone know a good way of locating possible cliffs-clifflines (DEM or not)

07-09-2016 12:25 PM
ChristopherMcNees
Deactivated User

I am looking for a way to identify cliff areas for bird habitats and can only think of using DEM with slope function as percent rise.  This however is not always accurate so curious if anyone else has another alternative.  Thanks any help would be appreciated

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

the potential of delineating cliffs increases as the cell size decreases obviously.  the problem you might be facing, are there any other variables in the landscape that might denote the presence of such a feature.  for instances, sudden breaks in the vegetation, lineal patterns appearing in otherwise uniform surface cover, sharp bends in river networks.  i am sure there are more, but many will be unique the landscape

0 Kudos
ChristopherMcNees
Deactivated User

Yea there are a lot of variables that dilute this methods accuracy.  If in a barren landscape might be more accurate, but looking for raptor habitat in a heavily forested area.  Suppose best I can do is potential areas of interest as I have been.  If you can think of anything else that may decrease the error please let me know.  Appreciate the response.  Thanks

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

nothing automatic... a small dose of lidar would help

0 Kudos