Route Number Integrity

Jump to solution
10-27-2021 12:41 PM
CameronCole
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I am working in a 10.5.1 Roads and Highways env. and I am curious if there are any checks or integrity process people have used for Route Id's. I am just thinking through the process of retired routes, making new routes and making sure we aren't using the same one from the past or anything like that. 

I sort of figured there were db integrity rules but I haven't been able to google any up. 

Thanks for any advice and insight. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NathanEasley
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Cameron,

As Ryan mentioned above, the software will let you create routes with routeIDs that have existed in the past.  There are some additional checks built into the software to prevent situations like creating a route with a routeID that current existing in the same time range and other scenarios that would break uniqueness for each route in any given time period.

If you're interested in putting together some additional checks beyond the basic scenarios that software prevents, I'd recommend looking into authoring some data reviewer checks to prevent any type of scenarios that your business rules wouldn't support.

Nathan
ArcGIS Roads and Highways team

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RyanKoschatzky
Occasional Contributor III

“I am just thinking through the process of retired routes, making new routes and making sure we aren't using the same one from the past or anything like that.“

We reuse routeid numbers all the time. At least for us we like to see the historic representation of that route though time. 

One thing to watch out for is unintentional gapped routes, you use the routeid in one part of the county and create or reassign that same routeid in another part of the county. Your 1/2 mile route goes from 1/2 mile to 6 miles and the measures on the far side start at some number other then zero. The check would be to review your multipart routes from time to time if your your data practices allow multipart routes like we do.

The other problem can be routes having more then one active timeslice. You can have one routeid with a from date of 10/25/2021 and create a new route with the same routeid with a from date of 8/25/2021. You can write a query for the active timeslices but not through all time if you allow multiple route actions on the same day like we do. An example of this would be if a project realigned the route in more then one location. You would realign twice on the same day. Another would be if a route is realigned say the middle of the route and that route was also extended or trimmed because of the project. The route actions would use the same date. Well they would for us. Your route editing rules might be different.

HTH

NathanEasley
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Cameron,

As Ryan mentioned above, the software will let you create routes with routeIDs that have existed in the past.  There are some additional checks built into the software to prevent situations like creating a route with a routeID that current existing in the same time range and other scenarios that would break uniqueness for each route in any given time period.

If you're interested in putting together some additional checks beyond the basic scenarios that software prevents, I'd recommend looking into authoring some data reviewer checks to prevent any type of scenarios that your business rules wouldn't support.

Nathan
ArcGIS Roads and Highways team

RyanKoschatzky
Occasional Contributor III

I misspoken on the using the Create Route tool to create overlapping slices (must have been a previous version/patch cause I recall us doing that) as the software will not allow you to create the route but you can use the Reassign Route tool to unintentionally create the issue at 10.5.1 SP2.

Multi_Timeslices.jpg

Objectid 1242489 was created this morning, the existing route (50097643023) had a From Date of before 3/23/2021 and I used a From Date before the current timeslice 1/23/2021 to reassign the route.

Our timeslice look as such now:

FrmDate 1/23/2021
ToDate <null>

FrmDate 3/23/2021
ToDate <null>

FrmDate 9/15/2020
ToDate 1/23/2021