Select to view content in your preferred language

SketchEditor - allow map navigation while sketching?

09-14-2022 01:42 PM
JamesGough
Regular Contributor

I am using SketchEditor in an app to allow user to place a point location on the map. The issue is that when the SketchEditor is started it seems to lock the map controls and not allow panning or zooming. Is there a way to allow for the map to be navigated while sketching? The user needs to be able to navigate to where they want to place the point.

I am starting the sketch editor with this code:

sketchEditor.startWithCreationMode(Enums.SketchCreationModePoint);

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor

The SketchEditor does not currently allow you to pan while sketching. To workaround this limitation, you'd need to do something along the lines of: user presses a button to save the geometry and stop editing, user pans, user presses a button to start editing from the previous geometry. It would take some fine tuning to get it right, but it should be doable.

We are working on an updated design of the SketchEditor, which will be available in an upcoming release, and that new design will allow for panning while sketching.

0 Kudos
JamesGough
Regular Contributor

Okay, that is too bad. I think not being able to pan while placing the point will be frustrating to users, especially in a mobile app where the view area is quite small. For my use case I think I can just write some custom functionality using the mapView's onMouseClicked listener and a graphic layer.

0 Kudos