ModelSceneSymbol: is an animated model supported?

Jump to solution
03-12-2021 01:31 AM
NorbertThoden
Occasional Contributor III

Hi!

I tried out the example Animate3DSymbols
(arcgis-runtime-samples-qt/ArcGISRuntimeSDKQt_CppSamples/Scenes)

I have a two question:

1. What files type are supported? Just dae?
    The link to the supported QML-Types is broken ({https://developers.arcgis.com/qt/latest/qml/guide/symbol-types-described.htm}{Symbol types}) and i cannot find that by searching...
  2. The Bristol.dae is a static model. Are also animated models support?
    Any hints?

Thx in advance!

Norbert

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Norbert,

As well as dae files we also support 3D Max too (.3ds)

At the moment I don't believe we have any support for animated symbols, but I will check if there is anything in the pipeline.  As you say the Bristol aircraft in the samples is a static model which I created using Blender.

We'd be interested in hearing more about your use-case for animated symbols.  I wonder if our Game Engine API developments would be of interest to you.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Norbert,

As well as dae files we also support 3D Max too (.3ds)

At the moment I don't believe we have any support for animated symbols, but I will check if there is anything in the pipeline.  As you say the Bristol aircraft in the samples is a static model which I created using Blender.

We'd be interested in hearing more about your use-case for animated symbols.  I wonder if our Game Engine API developments would be of interest to you.

NorbertThoden
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Mark!
"but I will check if there is anything in the pipeline." That would be great 🙂

Our use-case:
In our product we offer a 2D mapView  and an 3D sceneView to display the current situation of a simulation and training facility.
To get an eye catcher and to improve the display of an detonation we evaluate the ModelSceneMarker.

You mean ArcGIS for GameEngines? Good hint, i should read more about it 🙂

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor

The architecture work we are doing for Game Engine support will certainly make this easier for us in the future.  I will certainly feed back your interesting in having animated symbols as this helps us to prioritise our development efforts.

In the meantime you could try a workaround which would be to have multiple model symbols set up in a unique value renderer.  This way you would make a crude animation by changing a feature or graphic attribute to display a different phase of a basic animation.

0 Kudos