Select to view content in your preferred language

Image overlay with KmlGroundOverlay (2D View)

05-31-2024 05:05 AM
Labels (2)
Tsub4sa80
New Contributor II

Hi to all, I am developing a C++ application using ArcGIS Runtime Qt SDK .  I have a dynamically generated a QImage and I need to overlay this image on MapView at least at 10Hz. 

Using PictureMarkerSymbol, slows down the whole rendering process. 

Someone suggested using the KmlGroundOverlay and KmlIcon. I also implemented this solution and seems to be the optimal solution. 

My problem is that Kml Icon require a QUrl image path, but I don't want to write the image to disk every time. I tried using the qqmlimageprovider from my C++ method, but KmlIcon doesn't load the image.

Can someone help me?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LeeCarter
New Contributor II

I'm sorry but I do not have a solution for you.  I need to do something very similar in terms of having frequently updating sensor data in memory (not on disk) that I want to overlay on a 2D map scene and have stuck with using PictureMarkerSymbols to date having found the same problem with KmlIcon not being able to take a QImage.

I can say that there is an open bug (BUG-000151494) with Esri about QImage support being missing from KmlIcon dated February 2022.  It is listed as having a status of "In Product Plan" but it has not been updated since June 2022.

In addition, I know there is also an enhancement open (ENH-000134745) for adding support for ImageOverlay with 2D map scenes (it currently only works for 3D map scenes) and this has been in the system since October 2020, again with a status of "In Product Plan" but has not been updated since June 2022.

Maybe you could consider showing an interest in one or both of these tickets to help raise their profile within Esri.

It would be nice if support for displaying in-memory data via QImages could get some attention as it seems to have been a bit neglected for an extended period.

0 Kudos
Tsub4sa80
New Contributor II

Hi,

have you ever tried to use KmlIcons with the QQmlImageProvider?

0 Kudos
LeeCarter
New Contributor II

Hi,

I haven't looked at QQmlImageProvider.  I can see that QQmlImageProviderBase exists within ArcGISQtQml, but I am working exclusively with ArcGISQtCpp (with offline vector and tile packages, 2D, flat map scene/view)  so I don't know how mixable/workable that would be.  I know KmlIcon is supported in both ArcGISQtQml and Cpp.