What is the proper way to do for and if statements in python?

08-02-2017 08:55 AM
AndrewMartin8
New Contributor III

I am having issues with loops and if statements in python. I keep getting an error on the last line. What am I doing wrong?

import arcpy
from arcpy.sa import *
from arcpy import env

sorder=r"C:\Temp\ARCGIS_PROJECT\Tutorial\Final\layers\streamorder"

desc= arcpy.Describe(sorder)

xmin= desc.extent.XMin
ymin=desc.extent.YMin
xmax= desc.extent.XMax
ymax= desc.extent.YMax
count= 0

for columns in range (xmin, xmax):
  pointval= arcpy.GetCellValue_management(sorder,"%s %s" % (columns++,ymin), "1")
  if (pointval== 1, pointval==2, pointval==3): 
      count++
print "count= %s" % (count)‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍
0 Kudos
6 Replies
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

You need to have consistent spacing when indenting for and if statements.  Your for statement is indented 2 spaces, while your if statement is indented 4 spaces from the for statement when it should be 2.  Just make sure they are consistent, and that you aren't mixing spaces and tabs. 

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/

for columns in range (xmin, xmax):
  pointval= arcpy.GetCellValue_management(sorder,"%s %s" % (columns++,ymin), "1") #indented 2 spaces
  if (pointval== 1, pointval==2, pointval==3): 
    count++ #indented 2 more spaces‍‍‍‍
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You cannot use ++ to increment a counter (this is C/C++/JS notation). In Python you need to use:

count += 1 (same for columns)

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Since you are new to Python (I assume), you may want to look at some of the links Dan Patterson‌ has /blogs/dan_patterson/2016/05/09/the-links     He has some very advanced items, but there ar also formatting tips etc.  Also, there are a few threads on geonet on "how to learn python" with many free options to get started.  Getting a few of the formatting techniques down will help a lot.  Also, there are threads on different "python IDEs"  (development environments that make it easy to see syntax error) and many of these are free too.  Just some suggestions.  Learn a bit of that and it will make the Python experience a lot of fun. (in my opinion anyway )

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You shouldn't do comparisons like you are... use 'in' ... it is much cleaner, assuming that these are the only values you have.

pointval = 2
if pointval in (1, 2, 3):
    print("yes")
else:
    print("no")

yes‍‍‍‍‍‍

and you can mix object types

pointval = 'two'

if pointval in (1, 2, 'two', 3):
    print("yes")
else:
    print("no")

yes
XanderBakker

Hi Andrew Martin ,

I guess that this is (any many more questions you have posted during the past days are) still related to this challenge:

How do you create point shapefiles on a raster to create watersheds? 

Maybe it would be a lot easier to extract the last line of the raster (Extract by Rectangle—Help | ArcGIS Desktop ) and use some raster algebra (What is Map Algebra?—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop ) to set the values that you are not interested in to NoData like:

new_raster = Con(ori_raster <= 3,  ori_raster)

... and than simply convert the raster to points: Raster to Point—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

This would result in a point featureclass with the points you are looking for. 

Another method is to use convert the raster (or subset of the raster) to numpy array and read out the last line, test for the raster value and populate a point featureclass with the result.

XanderBakker

Below an example of using a numy array to get the values you are interested in:

The blue pixel have the value we are interested in (in my case 0). The red boxes are the points that are being created by the code below. In your case line 21 would be something as proposed by Dan_Patterson: if val in (1, 2, 3):

import arcpy

def main():
    arcpy.env.overwriteOutput = True
    ras_path = r'C:\GeoNet\WUE2\r007_WUE.TIF'

# ourput featureclass
    fc_out = r'C:\GeoNet\WUE2\points.shp'

# convert to numpy amd determine the sizes
    ras_np = arcpy.RasterToNumPyArray(ras_path)
    rows = ras_np.shape[0]
    cols = ras_np.shape[1]

raster = arcpy.Raster(ras_path)

points = []
    row = rows-1
    for col in range(cols):
        val = ras_np[row, col]
        if int(val) == 0:
            pntg = CreatePointGeometry(raster, row, col)
            points.append(pntg)

arcpy.CopyFeatures_management(points, fc_out)

def CreatePointGeometry(raster, row, col):
    xcell = raster.meanCellWidth
    ycell = raster.meanCellHeight
    xmin = raster.extent.XMin
    ymax = raster.extent.YMax
    sr = raster.spatialReference
    pnt = arcpy.Point((col + 0.5) * xcell + xmin, ymax - (row + 0.5) * ycell)
    return arcpy.PointGeometry(pnt, sr)

if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()