What do you use as a Python editor?

02-25-2016 12:18 PM
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I have seen lots of different IDE's for using Python and I wanted to ask the board what everyone prefers and why they chose what they chose.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I was using Pythonwin since I liked its interactive window. Though, I now use PyCharm . I find it's helpful with drop down intellisense like menus. Both of these are free so that is another plus.

And yes, Dan, I have seen this blog post: IDE's for Python

It's a great comprehensive list, though I would like to hear other's opinions on this board 

forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

I have been using PyCharm​ for sometime now.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I like Python IDE for Python Developers - Wingware Python IDE  

I use Wing Pro (reasonable price for work) but they also have a free version. 

I started using several years ago after seeing it used for a demo at the dev summit, and now it's just what I'm familiar with.  They have regular updates and excellent customer service if issues (usually respond within a few hours).

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

I use PyScripter for no reason other than it's free and does everything I ask of it.

0 Kudos
StuartFletcher
New Contributor

That would be pretty much my reply also.  I am using the dark theme, which fits in with my desktop theme:

PyScripter Dark Theme « Software And Architecture

I generally work only in python, that works for me, simple and effective.  Pyscripter also has the advantage (if you need it) of being able to easily test against multiple environments if needed.

Another developer here works with multiple languages so he's going down the Eclipse path (one IDE to rule them all!) which apparently also works with Python:

PyDev

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Pythonwin, PyScripter and Pythonista (windows, windows, iThingies)

0 Kudos
TiffanySelvidge1
Occasional Contributor III

I am still just using Python Idle. I tried PyScripter but preferred the color-coding in Idle which made it easier to figure out what was going on.

I didn't even know about all the other editors people have mentioned. I will definitely be looking into them.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You can port over syntax highlighting colors to other editors if you want a standardized appearance between them. 

I use a slightly different color scheme for my two windows versions since I am usually doing python 2.7.x on one, while python 3.x.x on the other.  The colors are my key sometimes as to where I am

0 Kudos
TiffanySelvidge1
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Dan! Strangely enough it never occurred to me the colors could be modified beyond the themes. I like the idea of using different color schemes for each version.

0 Kudos