Volume Calculation using Cut/Fill Lowest Point base plane

01-16-2017 06:47 PM
Thanh_NgocDao
New Contributor

Hi every one,

I'm writing a python script to calculate the volume of a polygon on raster using Cut/Fill tool and i see in some online service (for ex: DroneDeploy.com ...) for volume calculation there are 2 type of base plane: Best fit and lowest point:

Currently, i script seem to produce the result as same as DroneDeploy.com with their Best Fit base plane.

I want to writing another script to calculate volume with Lowest Point but don't know where to start with. You guys have any ideas about this problem?

Thanh you very much

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

are you looking for how to extend the base polyline parallel in the x,y direction and drop the z values of the upper polyline down to intersect with that plane?  could be emulated with a 2d buffer of the lower step and a 3D intersect with the upper polyline.  That would give you the back wall plane from which you could then determine the volume assuming you have the front and side planes

0 Kudos
Thanh_NgocDao
New Contributor

sorry sir, but can you show me some pseudo-code or something like that to achieve with arcpy because i don't understand your answer

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Have you looked at the surface volume tool?

surface-volume

0 Kudos
Thanh_NgocDao
New Contributor

Thank you very much, but it's not what i want right now, i stuck with how to achieve the lowest point base plane.

0 Kudos