ValueError: Unable to create the manifest (sddraft file). An unspecified error occurred.

03-04-2022 11:45 AM
ColeNelson
New Contributor III

Hey all, I am trying to create a tool that will allow me to enter my portal username and password, then overwrite an existing map service once it has been updated in ArcGIS Pro.

import arcpy 
import os

UserName = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(0)
Password = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(1)

arcpy.SignInToPortal("https://giswebmap.isrb.com/portal",UserName,Password)

outdir = r"I:\GIS\GIS_Monthly_Updates\ForDeveloping\PCC_ServeDef"
service_name = "PCC"
sddraft_filename = service_name + ".sddraft"
sddraft_output_filename = os.path.join(outdir,sddraft_filename)
sd_filename = service_name + ".sd"
sddraft_output_filename = os.path.join(outdir,sd_filename)

aprx = arcpy.mp.ArcGISProject(r"I:\GIS\GIS_Monthly_Updates\ForDeveloping\GIS_Monthly_Update.aprx")
m = aprx.listMaps('PCC')[0]

server_type = "FEDERATED_SERVER"
federated_server_url = "https://giswebmap.isrb.com/server"
sddraft = m.getWebLayerSharingDraft(server_type,"MAP_IMAGE",service_name)
sddraft.federatedServerUrl = federated_server_url
sddraft.overwriteExistingService = True

sddraft.exportToSDDraft(sddraft_output_filename)

print("Start Staging")
arcpy.StageService_server(sddraft_output_filename, sddraft_output_filename)

print("Start Uploading")
arcpy.UploadServiceDefinition_server(sddraft_output_filename, federated_server_url)

print("Finish Publishing")

This is a sample code that I copied and pasted, then manipulated, from ESRI's website, hoping that it would work.  However when I run it I keep getting this error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "I:\GIS\GIS_Monthly_Updates\DevelopmentScripts\PublishServiceDefinition.py", line 25, in <module>
File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcPy\arcpy\sharing.py", line 68, in exportToSDDraft
return _convertArcObjectToPythonObject(self._arc_object.exportToSDDraft(out_sddraft,self))
ValueError: Unable to create the manifest (sddraft file). An unspecified error occurred.

Any suggestions to what may be causing this and how I can go about fixing it?  Thanks in advance for the help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SomaChatterjee
New Contributor

Hello, 

I am trying to over-write a feature service in ArcGIS online. I am using the ESRI's code and twigged it depending on my need. However, I am getting  the following error:

File C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcPy\arcpy\sharing.py, in exportToSDDraft:
Line 24:    return _convertArcObjectToPythonObject(self._arc_object.exportToSDDraft(out_sddraft, self))

ValueError: Service and/or folder name contains unsupported characters: : ,. ,/

Any suggestions on this issue will be thankfully appreciated.

0 Kudos
RyanJones6
New Contributor II

I know this is a year late but I was getting the same error when trying to create a gp service from a very similar script. The script would work locally but would crash with this error when trying to run from the gp service. The fix for me would be to add the 'offline' property for sddraft. This would allow my 'arcgis' user to export the sddraft file even if it wasnt signed in. So possibly adding this line would fix your issue:

sddraft = m.getWebLayerSharingDraft(server_type,"MAP_IMAGE",service_name)
sddraft.federatedServerUrl = federated_server_url
sddraft.overwriteExistingService = True

sddraft.offline = True

René_Ténière
Occasional Contributor

@RyanJones6 that fixed my issues. Thanks!

0 Kudos