Using Python Dictionaries to Assign Feature Values

Jump to solution
04-23-2020 09:52 AM
NataliaGutierrez1
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am trying to use python dictionaries to change the feature values of different fields.

I created the script below to change the feature values of a field called "DOR_UC" and as you can see there is a list of other fields where I need to do something similar - that's why there is a long list of other fields.

import arcpy

# script to assign values to features in one field based on a value in the dictionary

arcpy.env.workspace = r"D:\APRX_MXDS\USA_Parcels_2019_Project\test_featureclasses.gdb"
arcpy.env.overwriteOutput = True

# feature class
fc = "testing_fc"

# printing all fields in fc
fields = [f.name for f in arcpy.ListFields(fc)]
print(fields)

# dictionary
uses = {"000" : "Vacant Residential – with/without extra features", "001" : "Single Family", "002": "Mobile Homes",
            "003" : "Multi-family - 10 units or more",
            "004" : "Condominiums",
            "005" : "Cooperatives",
            "006" : "Retirement Homes not eligible for exemption",
            "007" : "Miscellaneous Residential (migrant camps, boarding homes, etc.)",
            "008" : "Multi-family - fewer than 10 units",
            "009" : "Residential Common Elements/Areas",
            "010" : "Vacant Commercial - with/without extra features",
            "011" : "Stores, one story",
            "012" : "Mixed use - store and office or store and residential combination",
             }

# dictionary keys to list
usesKey = list(uses.keys())
# dictionary values to list
usesvalues = list(uses.values())

# List of fields
fields = ["BAS_STRT", "DOR_UC", "TEST", "PAR_SPLT", "CONST_CLASS", "IMP_QUAL", "M_PAR_SAL1", "QUAL_CD1"]

with arcpy.da.UpdateCursor(fc, fields) as cursor:
    for row in cursor:
        if usesKey in row[1]:
            row[2] = usesvalues
        cursor.updateRow()

Field DOR_UC currently has some codes that I need to convert into a sentence.

See image below for fc attribute's table:

Each of those codes has a meaning in the form of a sentence. I need to assign their meaning and delete the codes.

To do this I've created a dictionary where the key is the code and the value is the sentence (See attached csv).

To start testing the script I created a field called "TEST" where I want to put the value part of the dictionary.

So the code would go something like this:

If a feature in field DOR_UC is equal to 000 then the feature value in field TEST would be "Vacant Residential  - with/without extra features".

When I try to run the code I am getting this first error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "D:/APRX_MXDS/USA_Parcels_2019_Project/Scripts/Dictionary Key() method_2.py", line 44, in <module>
    for row in cursor:
RuntimeError: A column was specified that does not exist.

The weird thing is that I have both of the columns.

Not sure how to solve this.

Also, not sure if the overall code has more errors.

Could someone help me with this? I need to finish this today and I have no idea on how to continue.

thank you!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
NataliaGutierrez1
New Contributor III

that's a great idea! I've been saving every python script in the same folder but there are so many by now that it is getting very hard to find what I've done in the past.

I'll make sure to create a "Python Development" folder as well.

0 Kudos