Select to view content in your preferred language

Using a text file to set label expression in ArcPy

12-01-2014 12:55 PM
WesleyAskew
Deactivated User

I am currently using the lyr.labelClasses[0].expression property to label features in ArcMap from a Python script.  I am wondering if it is possible to set this expression property from a string stored in a text document.  If so, what would be the best way of going about this?  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
PaulCrickard1
Deactivated User

ConfigParser

Here is a simple usage:

Create the file label.ini with contents:

[label1]

name: Paul

[label2]

color: Red

you can use it like this:

>>> import ConfigParser

>>> config=ConfigParser.ConfigParser()

>>> config.read("C:\\Users\\me\\Desktop\label.ini")

['C:\\Users\\me\\Desktop\\label.ini']

>>> config.sections()

['label1', 'label2']

>>> name = config.get("label1","name")

>>> name

'Paul'

>>> color=config.get("label2","color")

>>> color

'Red'

>>>

0 Kudos
WesleyAskew
Deactivated User

Thanks for your response.  Although this could potentially work, the issue is that I already have a .Net ArcObjects add-in which generates a fairly complex string based on numerous variables.  I need to use Python to drive the labeling and I want to pass this entire .Net generated string to the Python script.  Do you think that the method that you indicate will be suitable for this purpose?

0 Kudos
PaulCrickard1
Deactivated User

Could work, but you have to write to text file first.

maybe you could just call the python code from .NET and pass the string as a command line argument.

Or use IronPython and combine .NET and Python in .NET or cimpile your .NET to DLL and call from python.

IronPython.net /

A short post I did on it

Python in C# Using IronPython | Architecture and Planning

WesleyAskew
Deactivated User

Thanks, this is very helpful.  I think that I am going to give the IronPython method as shot as it appears that it will do exactly what I am looking for.  I will let you know how it goes...

0 Kudos
WesleyAskew
Deactivated User

I took your advice and went with the IronPython method.  I was able to install and reference in Visual Studio with no problem.  However, when I run the add-in within ArcMap, I get an error message stating that the ArcPy module does not exist.  Will I need to provide a reference to ArcPy in Visual Studio as well?  I figured that since the add-in is executed in ArcMap it will use the ArcMap console to run the ArcPy script.

0 Kudos
PaulCrickard
Deactivated User

Do you have more than 1 version of python installed? I have python 2.7 and then another in arcgis subdirectory. My 2.7 does not have arcpy installed. I wonder if maybe it is referencing a python install that is not the ESRI install. if that is the case, you can copy C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.1\Lib\site-packages\Desktop10.1.pth to your other install site lib folder.

0 Kudos
WesleyAskew
Deactivated User

I checked and it appears that only one version of Python is installed on the machine.  What's weird is that when I run the script from the add-in, I get the message "No module named arcpy".  However, when running it through the ArcMap console, I get the message "No module named numpy".  Would this mean that there is a numpy module that is missing?  Below is my code, I don't even see a reason why it would use numpy.

import arcpy

import pythonaddins

mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument("CURRENT")

lyr = pythonaddins.GetSelectedTOCLayerOrDataFrame()

if lyr.supports("LABELCLASSES"):

lyr.showLabels = True

lyr.labelClasses[0].expression = "[FID]"

arcpy.RefreshActiveView()

0 Kudos