Trouble with Append input and target

Jump to solution
11-06-2019 08:25 AM
RyanF
by
New Contributor

I'm currently working on a script that will take 5 parameters from the user: a workspace, a new folder name, 2 file GDBs, and a feature class. The script will create a new folder inside the workspace specified by the user. I needed the new name variable to get the full name of one of the file GDBs with the slash in front of it in order to create a file path. db1 then gets copied to the new folder.

Everything down to the copy function works. I'm having issues with the append function. I need the append to take a feature class from DB2 and append it to the feature class in DB1. But whenever I run the script, I get the following error:

ExecuteError: Failed to execute: Parameters are not valid.

ERROR 000338: Inputs must be either all Feature Classes, Tables or Rasters; not mixed.

Failed to execute (Append).

I understand that I need my input and target to both have the Feature Class data type. Based on what I've coded, DB2_Figure8 is being read as a string due to the GetParameterAsText function. The westFigure8 variable is also a string. The westFigure8 variable is supposed to be a file path into the copied file GDB to access one of the feature classes in that file GDB. So I have 2 strings that need to have the Feature Class data type instead but I'm not sure how to make that happen.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

#import necessary modules
import arcpy

#Get parameters set by user.
arcpy.env.workspace = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(0) #sets the workspace
folderName = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(1) #allows user to name the folder. folder name should be the date i.e. #mmddyy
DB1 = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(2) #the file GDB that will be copied to the new location
DB2 = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(3) #the second file GDB that will be appended to the original file GDB
DB2_Figure8 = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(4) #the TCOMM_FIGURE8 feature class from the second file GDB

newFolder = arcpy.CreateFolder_management(arcpy.env.workspace, folderName) #creates the new folder with data #type Folder
newName = DB1[-13:] #takes the string which contains the file path for the file GDB that will be copied and truncates #the name so it is left with the final slash to the end of the file name i.e. \WestTTMP.gdb

newPath = str(newFolder) + newName #takes the new folder and converts to a string then combines it with the #truncated file name to create a new file path for the file GDB

arcpy.Copy_management(DB1, newPath) #takes the DB1 file GDB and copies it to the new location

westFigure8 = newPath + "/" + "TCOMM_FIGURE8"

arcpy.Append_management("DB2_Figure8", "westFigure8", "TEST", "", "")

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

How about adding some print statements to see if your variables are being populated properly?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

How about adding some print statements to see if your variables are being populated properly?

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

You marked this question as answered, but did not provide an explanation of how it solved your problem so it can help others with similar python programming issues.  As such, can you provide some explanation?

Are you working with python 2.7 with ArcMap or python 3.x with Pro?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

formatting will also give line numbers and make the code easier to read

/blogs/dan_patterson/2016/08/14/script-formatting 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

… "westFigure8" ...

on whatever line number this is on

arcpy.Append_management("DB2_Figure8", "westFigure8", "TEST", "", "")

should probably have been

westFigure8 … the variable, and not the string

0 Kudos