Select to view content in your preferred language

SQL in python

Jump to solution
04-14-2015 11:23 AM
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

The situation:

I have a table that is in a oracle database that I need to query and then spatialize. I need to select the most recant updated record for each group. I have a last update column to base the max date on. Then I have a name and a sand type columns that should make up the groups. So after some looking I think this is the sql that I need:

SELECT NAME, SAND, MAX(LAST_UPDATE) AS "DATE" from MY_TABLE

GROUP BY NAME, SAND

I have run it in Toad and it produced the desired result.

After the query I will need to do a join to a table that has the lat and long data and then make a xy events layer and then export the thing to a feature class in our SDE.

The question:

What it the best way to do this query in python in such a way that I can pass the output to arcpy for the join etc.

Thanks for the help,

Forest

0 Kudos
16 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

One can use SDE connection files, and ArcSDESQLExecute, against databases that are not registered SDE databases, at least I do it with SQL Server regularly and assume it would work with Oracle as well.

JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Nice!  Do you have an example?  It'd be great to not have to rely on .sde files for making connections.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Typically, I use an SDE connection file to a regular/nonSDE database for simplicity's sake, but the connection can be created on the fly.  Here is a generalized example for SQL Server Express:

sde_conn = arcpy.ArcSDESQLExecute(instance="sde:sqlserver:host\MSSQLExpress", database="DB")

The above will use Operating System Authentication since I am connecting to SQL Server and not specifying a username/password.

The syntax for creating on-the-fly connections using ArcSDESQLExecute is the same as the direct connect syntax prior to ArcGIS 10.1 when they started changing connections to databases.

BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

I didn't think about doing this either. Interesting idea, I'll have to give it a try.

0 Kudos
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

No I have not read that. Thanks you for the input. I have already made up the python for this current project based on James and Blake's input. But next time....

0 Kudos
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

I just noticed this ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Looks like you can now just join the NumPy array to your gdb Feature Class.

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Interesting, I guess I never noticed.  Now the lack of datetime support with ArcGIS and NumPy hurts even more.