Select to view content in your preferred language

Spyder and ArcGIS Pro

06-28-2023 11:59 AM
aminata_ndiaye
New Contributor

Hello, 

I have been unsuccessful connecting spyder and arcgis pro on three different computers. They all have the most up to date ArcGIS pro which I am thinking may possibly be the issue? When creating a clone and then trying to install spyder through arcgis pro package manager it has not installed on any computer there are always "conflicts" being investigated on all three computers. So, I tried to download spyder on the clone through anaconda environments, this allowed me to download and when going back into arcgis pro package manager, both spyder and spyder kernels are shown to be installed. So, I then open the spyder instlaled on that environment and do "import arcpy" and there is either an error saying arcpy module not found or something about arcscripting not found. I tried changing the spyder python interpreter and it wouldn't allow me to change it to any clone interpreter. Also, I tried  to change the scripting interpreter within arcgis and that did nothing. At this point I may have to switch to working in vscode, but I would really rather try spyder since my colleague is using spyder. I am completely lost at this point. It seems like arcpy is the problem? A lot of the past blogs that I have found that "solve this issue" are from older versions of arcgis pro so maybe the updated pro is the problem?

Some Notes:

1. On two computers I tried to try import arcpy on the Python Interactive Terminal (located in ArcGIS/Pro/Bin/Python/Scripts) where I got the error "DLL load failed while importing_arcgisscripting: The specified module could not be found". On same computers I did import arcpy in the IPython terminal that's just located in my documents folder and no error.

2. On another computer same with no error from Ipython, but the interactive terminal also gave no error. On all computers at this point there were spyder kernels downloaded on each clone, but no spyder in the clone only spyder from the base environment in anaconda.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Pro is lagging in the supported packages since Spyder 5.1.5

The only solution that is working for most is to do what is not recommended

pip install spyder  

Spyder wont install after ArcGIS Pro updated to 3.... - Esri Community

... sort of retired...
aminata_ndiaye
New Contributor

Thank you for your quick reply! Where exactly should I do pip install... I'm a new learner for programming and have so many command windows at this point I've been a little confused. Also, should I still create the cloned environment?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

your clone would be best and you install it from your conda command line, not the package manager

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos