Split Polylines at certain increments

01-06-2021 10:45 AM
CCWeedcontrol
Occasional Contributor III

I need to create a polyline grid with vertical and horizontal lines of increments of one hundred, somehow divide each polyline/polygon by 9 and across multiple polygons/polylines and I am not sure on how go about doing it. What I have is the polygons/sections and polylines/sections lines.. The polygons/polylines are NOT evenly squared so I can't use fish net, at least I don't think...?

Grid.png

11 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Can you give some more context?

What's the purpose of this?

What are the blue lines, I'm guessing gridlines but what projection etc. and why are they not regular?

What is 'range'? I might think its the length and width of the blue squares, but then you say you need increments of 100, which throws me off.  Also 100 what? Which ones are polygons and which are polylines?

Finally, what's the increase from right to left, and of what units?

0 Kudos
CCWeedcontrol

This would be used as an addressing grid.

The blue lines would be a whole section.

Range - address range, increase from right to left and south to north.

I guess I just need each sections to be broken into just 9 sections not 100.

The increase from right to left is just a 1000 of possible addresses.

Hopefully that helps.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Just do the mental math to come up with the rectangle width and height.  There is no point in coming up with some script when the tools is already available for use.

Once you have the grid you can convert it to singleparts, explode it into segments., reorient line segments etc etc 

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Create Fishnet (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

you can and could always specify the width and height of each rectangle... just specify a polyline output

... sort of retired...
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

I agree with @DanPatterson, it seems like you could use Fishnet with some combination of cell size, cell count, or extent.

0 Kudos
CCWeedcontrol

I have been messing the fishnet tool for a while and can't produce what i need.

I am thinking that some how each section length & high has to be calculated then divided evenly by 9 times?

AdaFishnetSections.png

0 Kudos
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

Convert each section to a polygon just so it's easier to identify the extent of each one individually. Then pick one to be the template extent object of the fishnet extent and choose number_rows = 9 and number_columns = 9. Repeat that for each polygon section. You may need to clean up the edges a bit.

0 Kudos
CCWeedcontrol

Surely I am not the only one that has need to do this and I was hopping there would be something automated since what you describe would be time consuming but I appreciate the suggestion.

0 Kudos
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

You can automate this process by iterating over each polygon with a search cursor.