Should Esri ship third-party modules (like scipy) with ArcGIS?

08-08-2012 10:52 AM
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
The ArcGIS Python 2.7 distribution for 10.1 includes (in addition to the python standard library)  the user-contributed modules numpy and matplotlib. It would be really great to include some more modules. If you agree, vote this item up and add your favorites (and use cases) in the comments.

Vote here, and also feel free to vote the idea up:

ideas.esri.com: Ship additional python extensions
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
33 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

ArcGIS 10.3.1 and ArcGIS Pro 1.0 include optional installers for Python that include a rich standard ArcGIS Python stack.  SciPy and pandas are included.

ArcGIS Blog: Strengthening the Link between GIS and Science

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Kind of against ESRI shipping any 3rd party items from a liability point of view.  If it is not something they provide support for perhaps they should provide a link for you to go get it or provide some sort of vehical.
0 Kudos
MikeMacRae
Occasional Contributor III
Mike: we're bundling xlrd and xlwt with newer versions of ArcGIS, would that be adequate for your needs?

I'm aware of the demand for Pandas (I want it too), I'm going to see what I can do with that.

Hey Jason, when I first started learning how to manipulate spreasheets with python, the first modules I tried were the python-excel modules. They are very easy to learn. The last time I used python-excel was a while ago, though, and I remember it being very basic and lacked the ability to do some more advanced formatting or formula building. Maybe there have been updates since I've lasted used it though.

I then went on to win32com because it uses com objects which I believe can be applied to any of the MS Office products (not that I've used it for anything outside of excel yet) but if that's the case, I would prefer win32com. I use it quite extensively with reports and the more I learn how to manipulate spreadsheets, the more I like it. It's nice to get used to how a module works and then be able to apply the same logic with other applications, instead of hacking amongst modules trying to finding tools that work together.
0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

I would like to see a module capable of creating a form

0 Kudos