Select Row from Feature Class and Copy Features Not Working

Jump to solution
01-07-2019 01:48 PM
deleted-user-1_r2dgYuILKY
Occasional Contributor III

I'm trying to use arcpy to recreate clicking on a row in an attribute table, and exporting that row to a new class. I'm iterating through a feature class with 12,000+ records and filtering out features that meet a certain criteria (room classification). Using Select Layer By Attribute and Copy Features I'm getting every single row copied over. I think my where clause might be the issue. 

Here is my snippet:

for row in arcpy.da.SearchCursor(fc, '*' ,sql_clause=(None, "WHERE CurrentSpaceClass = 'CR_Reg'")):
    OID_field = arcpy.Describe(fc).OIDFieldName
    site = row[8]
    room_number = row[9]
    pa_ratio = row[18]
    angle = row[16]

site_no_space = site.replace(' ','_')
    room_feature = scratch_gdb + site_no_space.lower() + "_room_" + room_number

where = '{0} = {1}'.format(arcpy.AddFieldDelimiters(fc,OID_field),row[0])

arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management(fc,"NEW_SELECTION",where) 
    arcpy.CopyFeatures_management(fc,room_feature) 
‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ah duh, I just realized I needed to assign arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute to a variable "selection" and then copy that. That did the trick!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

If you print where (or AddMessage), is it what you're expecting?

Best guess:

where = "{0} = '{1}'".format(arcpy.AddFieldDelimiters(fc,OID_field),row[0])

You should consider adding a check to see if anything is selected, otherwise, yes, you'll return the entire original feature class.

0 Kudos

Ah duh, I just realized I needed to assign arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute to a variable "selection" and then copy that. That did the trick!

jjeremy525
New Contributor III

Hi I’m trying to do the same thing any chance I can see your entire python script. I want to select layer by attribute with two conditions example like this x = 1 AND b = 2 and export each row that meets this criteria to a new shapefile. I also want to add the feature classes attributes from the row at end of the output name.

0 Kudos