Search radius format in Spatial Join tool

06-06-2017 06:22 AM
MichaelMiller2
Occasional Contributor III

What is the format for the search radius parameter in the Spatial Join in a python script? 

I've tried a numeric value (5), 5 feet, and 5-feet. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

'5 Feet'

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could write the parameter as "5 Feet".

Numeric Value with Units enclosed in Double Quotes.

Think Location
0 Kudos
MichaelMiller2

Thanks Bruce and Jayanta for the reply.  But, it does not appear to want to work using any value for the search radius. I'm only able to get the spatial join to run is with no value in the search radius.

May have to open a support ticket.

Snippet of the code used

outPoints = "PointsAlongRoutes"
joinFeats = "MergedRoutes"
outJoinFeat = "PointsJoinedToRoutes3"
joinOp = "JOIN_ONE_TO_ONE"
joinType = "KEEP_ALL"
fieldMapping = ""
matchOption = "INTERSECT"
searchRadius = "10 Feet"
distanceField = ""
arcpy.SpatialJoin_analysis(outPoints, joinFeats, outJoinFeat, joinOp, joinType, fieldMapping, matchOption, searchRadius, distanceField)
0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Michael, try not supplying the field mapping, I'm not sure an empty string will work.  You'll need to name parameters after switching from kwargs, like match_option="INTERSECT",search_radius='10 Feet')

MichaelMiller2

Bruce,

Thanks for the heads up. I've changed the spatial join arguments as show below and it is still returning "ERROR 999998".

Any other ideas before I call support?

arcpy.SpatialJoin_analysis(target_features="C:/tmp/KMZ_Work/RouteData3/KML_Data3.gdb/PointsAlongRoutes",
 join_features="C:/tmp/KMZ_Work/RouteData3/KML_Data3.gdb/MergedRoutes",
 out_feature_class="C:/tmp/KMZ_Work/RouteData3/KML_Data3.gdb/PointsJoinedToRoutesTest2",
 join_operation="JOIN_ONE_TO_ONE", join_type="KEEP_ALL",match_option="INTERSECT",
 search_radius="5 Feet")‍‍‍‍‍
0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi, I'm stumped, the function looks right, it is possible there is something in your data that is causing an issue, maybe linear referencing related if thats what you are working with.  Lets go with a support call.  Sorry it isn't jumping out at me.

0 Kudos
MichaelMiller2

Yeah, if I remove the search_radius parameter, it runs fine. But I need the search radius.

Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Another way of checking is to use ModelBuilder. Add the Tool to the model and define all the desired parameters. Then, export the Model to Python Script.

Hope it helps!!!

Think Location
0 Kudos
MichaelMiller2

It works when using the spatial join tool in toolbox. I exported the snippet from the result and have used those parameters.

I will try it in a model.

Thanks Jayanta