replaceDataSource not working

07-20-2011 08:50 AM
ChristopherGraff
New Contributor III
I'm trying to redirect a raster layer in an mxd from one SDE to another.

the relavent Code:
sdeFile = r"G:\DEPARTMENTS\GIS\Chris_Graff\temp\Aerial.sde"
lyr.replaceDataSource(sdeFile, "SDE_WORKSPACE", r"AERIAL.DATALOADER.AP2008", True)

when this runs I don't get any errors.  When I open the mxd it changed the workspace to the correct SDE but the raster's dataset_name is still the old name ("STATIC.DATALOADER.AP2008") rather than the one I provided.

Anyone have any ideas?  I'm running arcgis 10sp2
thanks,
-chris
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
ChristopherGraff
New Contributor III
If helpful here's the full code....

import os, arcpy
start = r"G:\DEPARTMENTS\GIS\Chris_Graff\temp\scketchup"
sdeFile = r"G:\DEPARTMENTS\GIS\Chris_Graff\temp\Aerial.sde"

for root, dirs, files in os.walk(start):
    for file in files:
        if file.endswith(".mxd"):
            path = os.path.abspath(os.path.join(root,file))
            mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument(path)
            print path
            for lyr in arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd):
                if lyr.supports("SERVICEPROPERTIES") and lyr.serviceProperties["ServiceType"] == "SDE":
                    if lyr.datasetName.upper() == "STATIC.DATALOADER.AP2008":
                        print "!   " + lyr.datasetName
                        lyr.replaceDataSource(sdeFile, "SDE_WORKSPACE", r"AERIAL.DATALOADER.AP2008", True)
                        print "NEW " + lyr.datasetName
                    else:
                        if lyr.isRasterLayer:
                            print "!!!!" + lyr.datasetName
                        else:
                            print "    " + lyr.datasetName
                else:
                    print "    " + lyr.name
            try:
                mxd.save()
            except IOError as e:
                print "Save failed!"

del mxd, lyr, file, path

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
You can update the layer name by searching for a keyword and then replacing the text.  I was working on a similar script earlier this morning.  I added this functionality to it.

import arcpy, os
from arcpy import env
from arcpy import mapping
env.workspace = workspace = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(0)

env.overwriteOutput = True

for (path, dirs, files) in os.walk(workspace):
    for file in files:
        if ".mxd" in file.lower():
            mxd = os.path.join(path, file)
            print mxd + " is being processed"
            mxd = mapping.MapDocument(mxd)
            for df in mapping.ListDataFrames(mxd, "*"):
                for lyr in mapping.ListLayers(mxd, "*", df):
                    lyr.replaceDataSource(arcpy.GetParameterAsText(1), "SDE_WORKSPACE", "")
                    print "Successfully updated data sources"
                    if "vector" in lyr.name:
                        lyr.name = "RASTER.DATALOADER." + lyr.name.split(".")[2]
                        print "Succesfully changed layer name"
            mxd.save()

del mxd

The previous database name was "vector", so the feature classes were listed as "vector.dataloader.parcels".  I created and IF statement to find all layer names containing vector and renamed the layers to the new database raster:

if "vector" in lyr.name:
      lyr.name = "raster.dataloader." + lyr.name.split(".")[2]
0 Kudos
ChristopherGraff
New Contributor III
My problem is not with the lyr.name, its the lyr.datasetName.  I need to change the datasetName as the lyr.replaceDataSource class is not honoring any string I try to use.  Whatever I use lyr.replaceDataSource always returns the original datasetName.  I've tried all the below but always the datasetName remains unchanged. 

lyr.replaceDataSource(sdeFile, "SDE_WORKSPACE", "AERIAL.DATALOADER.AP2008", True)

lyr.replaceDataSource(sdeFile, "SDE_WORKSPACE", "AP2008", True)

lyr.replaceDataSource(sdeFile, "SDE_WORKSPACE", "", True)

lyr.replaceDataSource(sdeFile, "SDE_WORKSPACE", "newName", True)

Since the the datasetName contains a referance to the old database, even though the SDE data source changes, the layer in the mxd is broken.  Does lyr.replaceDataSource not honor raster datsets in SDE?
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Looks like this may be a bug for the replaceDataSource method and raster datasets.  However, this works with Mosaic Datasets.  Have you considered migrating your large raster mosaics to Mosaic Datasets?  This is a much more efficient way to manage your imagery at ArcGIS 10. 

The mosaic dataset makes it easy for you to manage, search, and discover imagery in collections of any size. The mosaic dataset catalogs image and raster data sources, stores detailed metadata, and defines how imagery should be transformed into different products on the fly without the need
to preprocess. The mosaic dataset includes:

�?� Dynamic mosaicking for efficient handling of overlapping imagery

�?� On-the-fly processing to create multiple products from a single source

�?� Management and accessibility to metadata

�?� Integration for multiple disparate image sensors and formats

�?� Streamlined data maintenance and updates of new imagery

The mosaic dataset also saves time and storage space.  The mosaic dataset simply reads the images from their native file locations and format.  Since it reads the data from their native file locations it is extremely fast to create mosaic datasets.  Loading large rasters into SDE that took hours will only take seconds now and you will no longer have to allocated the storage space in your SDE database to accomodate these large rasters.
0 Kudos
ChristopherGraff
New Contributor III
Do I need to submit this as a bug or have you?

Our organization only deals with new imagery every 3 years and we maintain tight controls ending up with standard projections, pixel sizes, etc, so many of the traditional uses of raster catalogs haven't really applied to us.  Having a fairly robust enterprise desktop, server and mobile users we've enjoyed the benifet of having our aerials pre-processed into SDE.  In 20years we've only now ever needed to move one.

Is it still the case that I/O performace is faster from an SDE raster dataset than a catalog (particularly if the imagery is accessed through files)?

Thanks so much for your help,
-chris
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
I have not submitted this as a bug.  Feel free to do so if you'd like, I'm not sure that I will have the time. 

Mosaic Datasets are a hybrid of raster datasets and raster catalogs.  They render extremely fast due to the mosaic dataset's overviews.  Mosaic Datasets render just as fast as raster datasets, plus you receive the additional benefits that the mosaic dataset has to offer.

I would recommend taking a look at the following video to see how great and easy to use Mosaic Datasets are.
0 Kudos
DamianSchroder
New Contributor
I would like to add that I am experiencing this exact same problem and it is not just a raster dataset issue. It appears to fail with spatial views.  It changes everything except the Feature Class when you view the source in ArcMap. This code is successful on normal feature classes and anno.  (ArcGIS 10 sp2 build 3200)

import arcpy
import string
mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument(r"E:\source_control\MXDs\Map_Services\General4.mxd")
sdePath = r"C:\Users\damian\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.0\ArcCatalog\atlas_spatial.sde"

for lyr in arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd):
    if (lyr.supports("DATASOURCE") and lyr.supports("datasetName")):
        layerName = r"ATLAS_SPATIAL."  + lyr.datasetName.split('.')[1]
        lyr.replaceDataSource(sdePath,"SDE_WORKSPACE",layerName,False)
mxd.saveACopy(r"E:\source_control\MXDs\Map_Services\General10.mxd")

del mxd
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Jake:

What would be the replaceDataSource syntax if one was converting from a raster in SDE to a mosaic dataset in a file geodatabase?

This is the syntax I am using, which follows the ArcGIS Help, but I am getting an error message:

elif layr.datasetName == "ORTHO2005.ORTHOS2005":
                print("The dataset name in Resource_mxd is " + layr.datasetName)
                layr.replaceDataSource(r"\\gis\GIS\Work\arcmap\mosaic_2010.gdb", "FILEGDB_WORKSPACE", "orthos_2010")

In this code, "orthos_2010" is the mosaic dataset that contains 2010 Orthophotos.  I am not specifying where the data originates in SDE, other than making sure that the focus layer to be converted has a datasetName =  ORTHO2005.ORTHOS2005, as I did not need to do this for vector datasets that I resourced from SDE to a file geodatabase.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Hi Michael,

You won't be able to change data types (i.e. Raster Dataset to Mosaic Dataset).  You can only change the data source if the data type matches (i.e. Raster Dataset to Raster Dataset or Mosaic Dataset to Mosaic Dataset).
0 Kudos