"Optimize" option for kriging in Python, similar to Geospatial Wizard in the GUI?

Jump to solution
06-18-2020 01:04 PM
IanDavies
New Contributor III

Hi there,

I have been using the Geospatial Wizard in the ArcMap 10.4.1 desktop GUI to interpolate rainfall station data with good success. During the process I consult the variograms and adjust parameters accordingly -- however, I noticed that the "optimize" feature in the Geospatial Wizard, which uses cross validation to optimize the kriging parameters, gives me equally accurate results.

I have many many layers that I wish to interpolate and I want to do this in a standalone Python script. However, I can't find any way to "optimize" the parameters like in the Geospatial Wizard, I can only input them manually or use the defaults. 

Any luck with this? If I am forced to use Model Builder, does that have the optimize feature?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IanDavies
New Contributor III
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you looking to incorporate this tool?

Cross Validation—Help | Documentation 

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
IanDavies
New Contributor III

Hmm yes that must be what the Geospatial Wizard is using under the hood, thank you. I was hoping there would be a function that would cross validate and select the correct parameters like the wizard but I guess that would be too easy. If only the Geospatial Wizard wasn't so opaque.

0 Kudos
IanDavies
New Contributor III

I found an answer to this question - no you cannot automate kriging optimization.

https://community.esri.com/message/864045-re-how-can-i-do-batch-processing-with-geostatistical-wizar... 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Eric Krouse's post there does provide a suggestion as how to do it though.

Steve Lynch‌,  Eric Krause any changes in this or is the approach the same?

... sort of retired...