"How to use the Rodeo IDE with ArcGIS Pro" in a correct way? How to deal with temoprary files [while multiple runs]???

Jump to solution
11-09-2017 05:50 PM
RebeccaRicker
New Contributor II

Hey folks,

I am new here and I've got a desperately(!!!) question.

I use the ArcGIS Pro trail and need to run an external python-script, I write by my own (off course I use the spatial analyst tools, because I don't know how to do it somehow else... but that's okay for now).
To do that I followed this instruction, which tells you "How to use the Rodeo IDE with ArcGIS Pro" --> https://walkerke.github.io/2017/02/rodeo-arcpro/

Now the Problem. Every time I run the script, rodeo saves my (indeed temporary) layer somewhere and doesn't delete it after it finished running the script. I need to run my script part by part to debug it. But every time I have to close rodeo and delete the temporary files. Otherwise it gives the error message "Dataset time_layer already exists"...
This takes forever!

Is there any solution to this problem? Can I somehow tell it to overwrite those layers, like I can do in ArcGIS properties?

I am a very beginner in this stuff 😞 And I really need to do this.

I would be really very grateful for your help!

PS.: please also tell me whether the location of my question is fine or not.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Spyder is nicer (see my blog posts)

Now since I don't see your script, does it have

arcpy.env.overwriteOutput = True

near the top?  It is usually pretty good as long as you haven't got file locks (like the file has been added to an arcmap or ArcGIS Pro session etc)

You might have to experiment, and hopefully it isn't an IDE issue (probably not)

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Spyder is nicer (see my blog posts)

Now since I don't see your script, does it have

arcpy.env.overwriteOutput = True

near the top?  It is usually pretty good as long as you haven't got file locks (like the file has been added to an arcmap or ArcGIS Pro session etc)

You might have to experiment, and hopefully it isn't an IDE issue (probably not)

RebeccaRicker
New Contributor II

Thank you Dan Patterson,

this fixed my Problem. I didn't know the "overwrite"-command.

I already saw your blog-posts, but as I am a very beginner, I found it to difficult and so I used that introduction.

Thanks a lot,

Rebecca!

0 Kudos