python versions

Jump to solution
05-13-2019 06:21 AM
JustinWolff
Occasional Contributor

We have several nightly .py geoprocesing scripts running on a dedicated scripting server via scheduled tasks.  These scripts are all written in Python version 2.x.  Only ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.1/Python 2.7.13 are currently installed on this server.  We are considering installing ArcGIS Pro 2.3.2 on this machine as well because users are beginning to develop scripts in Python 3.x.  A couple questions:

1) Will installing Pro interfere with the existing Python 2.x scripts?

2) How will Python 3.x scripts run correctly?  As scripts always start simply with ‘import arcpy’, do all scripts need to be modified to point to the specific 2 or 3 .exe?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Justin, have you read any of this?

ArcGIS Pro Python reference—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Python migration from 10.x to ArcGIS Pro—ArcPy Get Started | ArcGIS Desktop 

Python in ArcGIS Pro—ArcPy Get Started | ArcGIS Desktop 

basics are covered and references to migration needs and such things as scheduled tasks.

If set up properly, python 3 runs through Pro's anaconda distribution of python, so there is nothing else needed to install, you just need to envoke the proper version of python if you are still having to use both arcmap and ArcGIS Pro

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Justin, have you read any of this?

ArcGIS Pro Python reference—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Python migration from 10.x to ArcGIS Pro—ArcPy Get Started | ArcGIS Desktop 

Python in ArcGIS Pro—ArcPy Get Started | ArcGIS Desktop 

basics are covered and references to migration needs and such things as scheduled tasks.

If set up properly, python 3 runs through Pro's anaconda distribution of python, so there is nothing else needed to install, you just need to envoke the proper version of python if you are still having to use both arcmap and ArcGIS Pro

JustinWolff
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Dan.  No, I haven't read those but will get to them this afternoon.  I'm marking this as Correct since this is likely the kind of info we're looking for.  We just haven't messed with Pro with regards to any of our automated scripting yet and are hesitant because we don't want to break anything.  

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Glad it helps.  There are loads of other links that I have in my blog that may be of interest with respect to pythonic things and Pro

/blogs/dan_patterson/2016/05/09/the-links 

/blogs/dan_patterson/2018/12/28/clone 

/blogs/dan_patterson/2018/12/13/spyder 

/blogs/dan_patterson/2017/07/01/arcgis-pro-2-creating-desktop-shortcuts 

a few of the more immediate ones

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Have you thought about building a new server maybe with an upgraded Windows Server version to keep Pro python scripts separate to minimize risk of script disruption?

0 Kudos