05-15-2017 03:01 PM
MohammadrezaNikfal1
Occasional Contributor

I need to encrypt a developed Python toolbox using EncryptPYT as follows:

import arcpy

toolbox = 'd:/tools/analysis.pyt'
password = '<your password>'

arcpy.EncryptPYT(toolbox, password)

I used ArcGIS python window, but it did not recognize "EncryptPYT". My ArcGIS version is 10.4.1

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

My python toolbox is pretty different:

Our friend Dan has moved on to ArcGIS Pro (he must have a faster laptop than me). Your screenshot is from ArcMap.

It appears from the help (ie no help doc for 10.4.1) that EncryptPYT is not supported in 10.4.1, you need to update to 10.5 or use Pro (or Pro's conda environment) if you want to use that that function.  

Encrypting a Python toolbox—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

make your life easier... right-click on the toolbox and...

0 Kudos
MohammadrezaNikfal1
Occasional Contributor

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Our friend Dan has moved on to ArcGIS Pro (he must have a faster laptop than me). Your screenshot is from ArcMap.

It appears from the help (ie no help doc for 10.4.1) that EncryptPYT is not supported in 10.4.1, you need to update to 10.5 or use Pro (or Pro's conda environment) if you want to use that that function.  

Encrypting a Python toolbox—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Curtis  .... https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/store/d/surface-book/8txj08q9lxdt/04KS  the 8 Gb Book is good enough for coding while watching tv and PRO runs nicely since I am a network of 1

MohammadrezaNikfal1
Occasional Contributor

If I encrypt a my toolbox using new version or Pro, Can I use that in older versions?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you keep a copy of everything, you can test for yourself if you have multiple installations available.  I would be less worried about moving backwards since PRO 2.0 is on the horizon and PRO 1.4.1 is less 'issue-full' than previous versions.  If people can install 1.x... they can install the latest version, saving you the hassle.  So I will say 'yes' ... but 'why bother'

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I was unsuccessfully looking for details on that in the help -- but honestly I doubt it, it looks like new functionality. You could always try it.

0 Kudos