Python Scripting for Buffer

04-09-2020 08:40 AM
GarrettMiller
New Contributor

I am working on a project for my GIS course and I want to be able to put a point on a map and have a specific value when input into the attribute table (High) generate a buffer of 2 miles around the point. I am working on a map that will be able to be used to track diseases and any house that has the value of a High level priority will have a buffered region of houses that need to be tested as well. I keep hearing that I need to make a python script and use  that as the way to make an automatic buffer appear around specified values but I have no idea how to use python to do this.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

That's a pretty ambitious task.  What if you start off by just creating point feature class, and calculate them as Low, Med, and High.  Then work up a python script that reads that value and creates a buffer based on that value.

Check this out:  Beginner's guide to Python in ArcGIS Pro, Part 3: Tutorial 

That should just about do it....
GarrettMiller
New Contributor

I do have a feature class that has the low, medium and high values. I just have never really worked with python scripting and that is the next step.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Seems like you're half way there then.  The python half is the fun half: the toughest step is the first one. After that, it's just one foot after another.

Beginners Guide Part 1

Beginners Guide Part 2

Beginners Guide Part 4

This forum has a wealth of information as well as experience should you get hung up along the way.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor

Have you looked at the Multiple Ring Buffer tool. It is actually a script tool that call the Buffer geoprocessing tool. 

0 Kudos