Select to view content in your preferred language

Python Package Manger: How do I install "mido" - a package that isn't listed?

02-08-2024 11:41 AM
Willen
by
Emerging Contributor

One of our students is trying to install the mido package in ArcGIS Pro 3.2 in the Python command panel for use in a Jupyter notebook, but is getting "DirectoryNotACondaEnvironmentError" when using a terminal environment to install the package.

She tried switching to one of the environments that showed when she listed the conda environments,

Has tried: conda create -n <ENVNAME> and gets same error.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

in a cloned environment you could try a pip install.

I just did a --dry-run so it wouldn't install the package, so remove that bit

(arcgispro-py3) C:\arc_pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3>pip install mido --dry-run

Collecting mido
  Obtaining dependency information for mido from https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/39/2c/df005c4b310dde2c834431032139bf2c3924f81798013feb052d1afd543b/mido-1.3.2-py3-none-any.whl.metadata

Downloading mido-1.3.2-py3-none-any.whl.metadata (6.4 kB)
Collecting packaging~=23.1 (from mido)

Obtaining dependency information for packaging~=23.1 from https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/ec/1a/610693ac4ee14fcdf2d9bf3c493370e4f2ef7ae2e19217d7a237ff42367d/packaging-23.2-py3-none-any.whl.metadata
  Downloading packaging-23.2-py3-none-any.whl.metadata (3.2 kB)
Downloading mido-1.3.2-py3-none-any.whl (54 kB)

---------------------------------------- 54.6/54.6 kB 704.3 kB/s eta 0:00:00
Downloading packaging-23.2-py3-none-any.whl (53 kB)
   ---------------------------------------- 53.0/53.0 kB 1.4 MB/s eta 0:00:00
Would install mido-1.3.2 packaging-23.2

(arcgispro-py3) C:\arc_pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3>

... sort of retired...
GraceHegland
Emerging Contributor

Hi Dan,

Thanks for writing back. I have already pip installed in the arcgis clone environment, but when I try to subsequently import the library into arcgis for use, I get a ModuleNotFound error message.

GraceHegland_0-1707506240567.png

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

are you activating the environment that contains the package?

Pro runs in the arcgispro-py3 environment by default.  You have to activate a cloned environment in Pro in order to use the packages from the clone

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
GraceHegland
Emerging Contributor

Hi Dan,

Yes, the clone environment is active in ArcGIS Pro.

GraceHegland_0-1707508300299.png

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is the import being done in the python window within Pro? a separate python IDE? a notebook?

That environment has to be activated as well.

If that doesn't work, ...Tech Support ....  since I use package imports regularly from with the default or a cloned environment

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
GraceHegland
Emerging Contributor

Hi Dan,

The import that gives the error message was done in the python notebook in ArcGIS Pro. When I open a Jupyter Notebook from the Python command prompt, the import runs without error, but I have not been able to do the same within ArcGIS Pro. I have the environment activated in ArcGIS Pro (the image shown in my last post). Is there somewhere else I am supposed to activate the environment?

Thanks

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If that is the environment that it is installed in, and the jupyter notebook uses the same environment

From a Notebook inside of Pro with your clone activated, do the following.

You will have to substitute your install folder, your clone name to check.  Then fire up windows file explorer and see if the package is installed there.

modulelocation.png

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
GraceHegland
Emerging Contributor

Hi Dan,

I checked the folder where you said the package should be installing, and it was not listed there. I looked back at my pip install command and can see that it is installing to a different file pathway. How can I adjust the pip install command so that it is installing in the correct place?

GraceHegland_0-1707588107151.png

Thanks

0 Kudos
GraceHegland
Emerging Contributor

Hi Dan,

I got the package to install in the correct place, and everything is working now. Thank you so much for the help!

0 Kudos