Python is crashing on me.

11-16-2016 09:58 AM
MarkBinder
Occasional Contributor

My work PC was recently upgraded from ArcGIS 10.2.2 to 10.4.1. I had the 64 bit geoprocessing package for 10.2.2 but that has not yet been installed for 10.4.1. I have several python scripts that search and iterate through mxd files so I can do things like export them to pdf files without having to open and export every mxd file. The problem is that now python keeps crashing when I run one of these scripts. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm using PyScripter or the default IDE that ArcGIS installs. My script goes through 4-10 mxd files and then crashes.

I have attached a screenshot of the text it gives me when python crashes. Any idea what's causing this?

Thanks,

Mark

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ClintonDow1
Occasional Contributor II

PyScripter runs a subprocess which pipes the results back to its interface. The EOFError is saying that subprocess crashed hard and didn't return a stack trace. This usually indicates python.exe itself is crashing. It's likely happening because you didn't update the version of background geoprocessing, the DLLs and PYDs that ArcGIS uses have traditionally been tightly coupled with a Python version, so necessitates an upgrade of both. 

MarkBinder
Occasional Contributor

I thought python.exe was crashing. I'm using the 32-bit version of PyScripter though, should there be any residual effect from having the 64-bit geoprocessing package installed?

I am unable to use the 64-bit version of PyScripter as ArcPy is not available for it anymore.

0 Kudos
ClintonDow1
Occasional Contributor II

I know a number of people still use PyScripter successfully so I would assume that you shouldn't have any issues using the 32-bit version. As far as compatibility with ArcPy, it seems PyScripter is falling behind in maintenance - for example it has not yet been updated for Python 3.5 support to my knowledge. So while it was once the IDE we recommended, that unfortunately looks like it will have to change. I have personally been using PyCharm for all my ArcPy coding needs for over 3 years now and am happy with it. 

0 Kudos