Select to view content in your preferred language

Python error question

01-22-2015 04:33 PM
PROBERT68
Honored Contributor

I am a beginner and just starting to learn how to use Python I learned from Python Scripting for Map  Automation.

My question to you is that whenever I get an error I see the word Traceback or errors in highlight red in my python window. 

My question to you is do I need to have a pythonWin installed ? My computer at work does not have it but I use the python  Window inside ArcMap.

Are there site that can I read or learn about the Traceback error ? I am sure there are bunch of question that Traceback has in it.

So what does Traceback means and what does it do ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
34 Replies
PROBERT68
Honored Contributor

Xander Bakker‌  ok, so for example, if you want to write one code and all of sudden it gave you the error in python window and then you turn to pyscripter and use the same one code and test it. Is that what you are suggesting ? 

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Honored Contributor

One more other question. Which one should i write the code in the Pyscripter ?  The python interpreter below or the top with the module ?Xander Bakker

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You should write it in the upper part:

replaceWorkspaces.png

In the part below (the interpreter) you will the any error messages or information you show with the print statement.

PROBERT68
Honored Contributor

Xander Bakker‌ -  Yes, I've explored the Pyscripter and read the information right before you answered my question. Now, I can see why the difference between the two. Now I can see why how cool Pyscripter is !!!!

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Glad to hear you like it. Don't forget to mark the threat as answered. You do this by clicking on the "Correct Answer" button of the post that answered your question. In case there were posts that were helpful, you can mark them as such using the "Helpful Yes | No"  links at the bottom of each post.