Select to view content in your preferred language

Python error question

01-22-2015 04:33 PM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

I am a beginner and just starting to learn how to use Python I learned from Python Scripting for Map  Automation.

My question to you is that whenever I get an error I see the word Traceback or errors in highlight red in my python window. 

My question to you is do I need to have a pythonWin installed ? My computer at work does not have it but I use the python  Window inside ArcMap.

Are there site that can I read or learn about the Traceback error ? I am sure there are bunch of question that Traceback has in it.

So what does Traceback means and what does it do ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
34 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

yes Arcmap 10.2 is 32 bit as well

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Change of scernico, I am at home and have ArcGIS 10.1 and got to download Pyscripter and did some research on Pyscripter and how it works and so on. 

I found really good info about it here : Advanced Geographic Research: Software  This article explains how to set it up and run with Pyscripter.

Now I have something in my mind is Can I have ArcMap open while Pyscirpter open at the same time ?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Yes...I do it all the time.  If everything is installed properly, you should be able to use

You just need to remember to use

import arcpy

before you try to use any arcpy functions

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Hi Dan,

I am starting to work on using Pyscripter and I am learning how to use. Now the thing I have a trouble writing code I am using replaceWorkspace.  That code requires four parameters however when I write the code there is no pull up list to select  and click to choose from. Is something wrong with the Pyscripter  I need to fix the problem ?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Just remember the suggestion by Francisco Girón Gesteira‌ (Re: Python error question )

If you are able to install Pyscripter set up the options to read arcpy help and perform code completion with it. Just add arcpy to the special packages line under code completion in IDE options

This provides help during the edition of code.

What you need to bare in mind is that PyScripter is not the same as the Python window in ArcMap. The Python window is aware of the layers available in the TOC of ArcMap. PyScripter is not. You will have to write them yourself (you won't be able to select them from a list of options). What I normally do is have the online Help open and check the syntax and example: ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

See the error

>>> mxd.replaceWorkspaces(path + r"\City_of_Westerville.mdb", "ACCESS_WORKSPACE", path + r"\Westerville.gdb", "FILEGDB_WORKSPACE")

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<interactive input>", line 1, in <module>

NameError: name 'mxd' is not defined

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

So the Pyscripter doesnt understand so I have to manually change the mxd to  something else like  ?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

The point is that creating the mxd object inside the Python window can be done using the "CURRENT" keyword. In a standalone environment (as is PyScripter) you cannot use that keyword. You will have to specify the path to the mxd document. Please read: ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

I am trying to understand between the two Pyscripter and Python Window and how it works together.

So for the Pyscripter  you just write to test it and if it works you copy and paste them to the Python Window but  change to the functions or classes to Python window where they understand it and run from Python windows?

Or do I just write the code within the Pyscripter and run the code from there and will that change in ArcMap ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Sometimes I use the python window to do something quick and dirty. You can also try things in the Python windows and copy and paste it into the editor of PyScripter to create something more enhanced. I do prefer coding directly in PyScripter since it is much easier to change things on lines written before, while in the Python window you write a single line, execute it and code the next line. I also execute the code directly from PyScripter (as do most people).

The other advantage of coding in and IDE like PyScripter is that your syntax is directly checked and you easily save what you are writing. When you create a script in PyScripter you can easily change hard coded variables into parameters and create a toolbox script that you can run in ArcMap and share with others. The other people don't need any coding experience, since they see a tool just like the ones provided by Esri.