Python complains about date format?

09-24-2014 02:28 AM
TomGeo
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I want to convert some date strings into correct dates, to be recognized by Python and ArcGIS.

Setup:

ArcGIS 10.2.1

Python 2.7.5

All data are located within a FGDB...

I set the workspace to be the FGDB, created a new Field of type data in my table and went on with the following things within the IDLE Shell

import datetime

with arcpy.da.UpdateCursor(myTable, [field01, field02]) as UCursor:

for row in UCursor:

origDate = datetime.datetime.strptime(row[0], '%d%b%Y')

row[1] = datetime.date.strftime(origDate, '%Y-%m-%d')

UCursor.updateRow(row)

Things work fine until the input string is '11MAY2004', where I get the following error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<pyshell#9>", line 4, in <module>

File "C:\Python27\ArcGISx6410.2\lib\_strptime.py", line 325, in _strptime

(data_string, format))

ValueError: time data '11MAY2004' does not match format '%d%b%Y'

I did try the whole thing in plain Python (same shell) before, where I simply did:

orig = '11MAY2004'

x = datetime.datetime.strptime(orig, '%d%b%Y')

and this works without any problem!!!

Can somebody enlighten me where I go wrong?

Cheers, Thomas

- We are living in the 21st century.
GIS moved on and nobody needs a format consisting out of at least three files! No, nobody needs shapefiles, not even for the sake of an exchange format. Folks, use GeoPackage to exchange data with other GIS!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RiyasDeen

Hi Thomas,

I suspect it's your locale setting. I can reproduce the same error if i set my locale explicitly to German_Germany, may be try explicitly setting your locale as

locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, 'English_US')

Untitled.png

Below is the code that produced this error.

import arcpy, datetime, locale

layer = arcpy.GetParameter(0)

arcpy.AddMessage(layer)

locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, 'German_Germany')

with arcpy.da.UpdateCursor(layer, ["ddMMMYYYY", "YYYY_MM_dd"]) as UCursor:

for row in UCursor:

row[1] = datetime.date.strftime(origDate, '%Y-%m-%d')

UCursor.updateRow(row)

TomGeo
by

Hi,

yes I can confirm that is has something to do with locale. A first solution was to change the format localization from Danish to English and restart the shell. I have to follow up on your suggestion to use the locale package. Thanks so far.

Thomas

GIS moved on and nobody needs a format consisting out of at least three files! No, nobody needs shapefiles, not even for the sake of an exchange format. Folks, use GeoPackage to exchange data with other GIS!
0 Kudos
Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III

I get an error with strftime if I try to use %T, which according to TutorialsPoint is a valid format, a shortcut for %H%M%S.

But this raises an error, and in fact is not in the Python.org documentation for strftime. The point being that there's erroneous information out on the web. Who knew?

If it's a locale issue, you may want to look at:

strftime() returns a locale depedent byte string; the result may be converted to unicode by doing strftime(<myformat>).decode(locale.getlocale()[1]).

also from the same documentation.

0 Kudos
TomGeo
by

Hi Greg,

never saw a '%T' and hey Tutorialspoint is a nice starting but nothing official and I would rather stick to the official docs. I solved the problem quick and dirty, and the task is pushing me further, but as soon as I have the time to check on locale and decode I will give it a try.

Bests, Thomas

0 Kudos