Python ArcGIS 10.4 breakpoints do not work in IDE

08-12-2016 02:26 AM
deleted-user-dZnlqqpQ3bzV
New Contributor II

Hello,

I started migrating Python code from ArcGIS 10.1 to ArcGIS 10.4. To my bewilderment my IDE does not properly react on breakpoints. Has anyone had the same experience and maybe a solution to this problem?

The very simple code below shows the problem. I tested it in PyScripter 2.6 and Visual Studio 2015 with Python Tools for Visual Studio. In ArcGIS 10.1 it breaks perfectly, in ArcGIS 10.4 it doesn't.

import arcpy

ws = "D:/GIS/Geomilieu/Data2015"

arcpy.env.workspace = ws

outGDB = arcpy.CreateFileGDB_management(ws, "Output.gdb")

lstFC = arcpy.ListFeatureClasses()

print "This line reacts on breakpoint properly"

arcpy.FeatureClassToGeodatabase_conversion(lstFC, outGDB)

print "This line does not react on breakpoint anymore in ArcGIS 10.4"

The problem seems to concentrate on the FeatureClassToGeodatabase tool.

When I replace that with a loop and use the CopyFeatures tool the last line does properly break.

Any help or any sign that more people suffer this problem appreciated.

Kind regards,

Rienco Groenewold

Netherlands

0 Kudos
3 Replies
New Contributor II

An addendum to my one question.

Some further testing shows that the problem could focus on Python tools used from ArcToolboxes.

When I, in the sample, replace the FeatureClassToGeodatabase tool with an loop over FeatureClassToFeatureClass the breakpoint on the last line of the code is triggered.

When I change the code to using TableToGeodatabase and TableToTable the IDE reacts exactly the same.

So, maybe a annoying bug in the Python for ArcGIS functionality in ArcGIS 10.4?

I hope ESRI is willing to investigate and won't blame it on the IDE. Like they did in my first helpdesk call...

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Ok... I won't at least, but can you run it in ArcMap's feable IDE as a check or is that possible?

0 Kudos
New Contributor II

Running it in ArcMaps internal IDE won't help. That has no breakpoint functionality.

The script itself is performed alright. The problem concentrates on the breakpoints.

0 Kudos