Possible to publish geoprocessing service without ArcGIS Desktop?

Jump to solution
01-31-2018 07:04 AM
DevonCanady
New Contributor II

We have a development server that has ArcGIS Desktop/ArcCatalog/Server which I had to used to publish a geoprocessing service via Results>>Share As>>Geoprocessing Service. I'm now trying to walk through the same process on our production server but it only has ArcGIS Server, not Desktop or ArcCatolog.

I'm wondering if it's possible to get the same geoprocessing service on our production server without using Desktop or ArcCatalog. This server has many Map Services on it and I'm not sure if those require Desktop/ArcCatalog.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

If your dev environment can reach your prod environment, you could just publish from Desktop on your dev environment to your production server.

Another approach, like Vince Angelo‌ mentioned, is to use the Create GP SDDraft tool and associated publishing tools. I think the only issue there is you don't have the ability to easily update the tool's parameter behavior, (for example, set a parameter to a constant value).

View solution in original post

2 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

If you look in the Geoprocessing results log, the Python command for publishing will be present.  You can issue that command (or its moral equivalent) using arcpy on an ArcGIS Server host (Windows or Linux). If an SOE is involved, the publishing process is more convoluted (using urllib2 to interact with the admin REST service), but a simple GP tool should be fairly straight-forward.

- V

JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

If your dev environment can reach your prod environment, you could just publish from Desktop on your dev environment to your production server.

Another approach, like Vince Angelo‌ mentioned, is to use the Create GP SDDraft tool and associated publishing tools. I think the only issue there is you don't have the ability to easily update the tool's parameter behavior, (for example, set a parameter to a constant value).