Possible to point ArcMap to Python installation?

Jump to solution
10-09-2017 10:34 AM
DevonCanady
New Contributor II

In order to use Python in Git Bash for Windows I installed Python 2.7 to C:\Python27 since I had previously only had it installed for ArcMap inside the ArcGIS10.1 folder. I accidentally "overwrote" the files in the Python27 folder but afterwards noticed that all the files are still in the ArcGIS10.1 folder. However after the installation I can no longer access ArcPy from the Python Window inside ArcMap.

This thread seemed to point me in the right direction but my Python folder inside Computer>>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>>SOFTWARE is missing.

I'm wondering if I can simply change a path setting that ArcGIS uses since arcpy and Python27 have not moved to avoid reinstalling anything.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

uninstall python, then from Windows control panel, do a 'repair' ArcGIS from add/remove programs

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

uninstall python, then from Windows control panel, do a 'repair' ArcGIS from add/remove programs

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

ArcMap uses 32-bit, the path you're looking for is in WOW6432Node. Dan's suggestion is safer GIVEN your main Python has the right versions of numpy, matplotlib, etc to play well with ArcGIS. It is risky.