Parse Invalid Characters Arcpy

Jump to solution
06-24-2015 08:32 AM
RusselKlueg
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I'm back at it again. I've written a script to Iterate through an MXD and export all features within 50 miles of my state to a feature class. There are over 550 FCs to process and it keeps failing due to invalid characters. Does arcpy offer a way to parse out invalid characters when naming a conversion output?

Below is the code i'm referencing

import arcpy
import glob
import os
files = glob.glob(r'C:\Users\JOC-001\Documents\GIS\HSIP\IL_Infrastructure2015\*')
for f in files:
    os.remove(f)

mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument(r'C:\Users\JOC-001\Documents\GIS\HSIP\Infrastructure\HSIP_Gold_2015_Infrastructure.mxd')  

layers = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd)  

for lyr in layers:  
    if lyr.isGroupLayer:
        pass
    else:
        print lyr
        arcpy.SelectLayerByLocation_management(lyr, "WITHIN_A_DISTANCE", r"C:\Users\JOC-001\Documents\ArcGIS\Default.gdb\Illinois", "50 Miles", "NEW_SELECTION")  
        arcpy.FeatureClassToFeatureClass_conversion(lyr, r'C:\Users\JOC-001\Documents\GIS\HSIP\IL_Infrastructure2015', str(lyr.name))
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
GrantHerbert
Occasional Contributor II

I have also used lyr.longName, as this has a slash between the group name and the layer name. While this isn't a safe character for output, it is a handy way to separate the names sometimes.

for example, I have a script which creates layer files from an mxd, and to identify if a layer is in a group (rather than being a group layer) I use the following and change the output name accordingly (as I am outputting all layers - stand alone, group layers and sub layers and there is a high likelihood of duplicate names):

if lyr.longName.find("\\") > -1:

# change the name

out_lyr = lyr.longName.replace("\\","_")

# or, functionally the same

out_lyr = arcpy.validateTablename(lyr.longName)

GroupLayer\Layer becomes GroupLayer_Layer.

For generating unique output names I do an Exists() check, and increment a counter at the end of the name as necessary.

MGAL
by
New Contributor II

Six years later, the solution worked like a charm. 

As a bit of background, I was creating individual FC's from a larger FC based on an attribute.

MGAL_0-1628806604683.png

The MB failed due to spaces & dashes in the attribute name. As a workaround, I created a new field and calculated using the following expression. 

import re
def strip_invalid(plant):
    x = re.sub('[^A-Za-z0-9]+', '', plant)
    return x

Thanks, @JoshuaBixby !!

0 Kudos
GrantHerbert
Occasional Contributor II

arcpy.ValidateTableName does a good job of removing problematic characters as well.

ArcGIS Help 10.1