Organize Raster by Geographic Location

05-05-2022 03:47 PM
RussellTillis
New Contributor

Good morning everyone.

I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.8 and Python 3.

I am trying to write a script to organize a large amount of raster datasets based on what geographic region they cover. My thoughts on this were to get the average XY coordinate from each raster and then somehow compare that to a collection of coordinates to see which area it would fall in. Once I have that information, I would then like to move it to the appropriate directory (i.e. country folder). I am able to get the average XY for each raster, but I don't know how (or if it is possible) to then determine what area it covers. I'm kind of at a loss right now on what to research to accomplish this. Thanks in advance for any help/ thoughts on this.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LongDinh
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @RussellTillis ,

Without going into any spatial statistics, if you are looking to do basic coverage based on average XY of each raster, you can create polygons from points in ArcGIS Pro by following this Technical Support Article.  

You can apply a min distance to create minimum bounding geometries, however, note that gross assumptions apply with these methods which may invalidate the 'coverage' (e.g: All your rasters are of equal coverage and equal cell size).

Should you require further analysis such as weighting the 'coverage' of each raster, I recommend reading into some of the tools in the Spatial Statistics toolbox. 

Lastly, I would recommend applying the Mosaic Datasets image management model to your large collection of rasters. It will help manage the your image collection, allow you to query/sort your collection by its metadata which includes extents, coverage and more!

0 Kudos