Select to view content in your preferred language

Observer Points 3D Function/ Visibility Functions

12-04-2023 11:15 AM
AnjeliDubey
New Contributor II

H! I was looking at the ESRI documentation for the Observer Points 3d function:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/3d-analyst/observer-points.htm

I found that these below are the default settings for Visibility Analysis for this function, as well as the Viewshed function:

AnjeliDubey_0-1701717064744.png

How do I use the python function to change these default settings? The only parameters I can find for the Observer Points 3d that can be altered are the z-factor, curvature correction, and refractivity coefficient. I even used the calculate field functions to change the attribute table of the input feature class, but it did not change the default settings of the function.

arcpy.CalculateField_management(inputfeatureclass, "RADIUS2", radius2distance, "PYTHON_9.3", "")

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

If you've got a numeric field called RADIUS2 populated with the values you need, then it should work.  My guess is you've got your dataframe or data in a geographic coordinate system rather than projected, but without seeing your data or outputs that's just an educated guess.

AnjeliDubey
New Contributor II

My data is in a projected coordinate system, and this is what I changed the default settings to for 3 of the options above using CalculateField().

AnjeliDubey_0-1701722570503.png

This is what the attribute table looks like for the output. Range and ObserverHgt are aliases for RADIUS2 and OFFSET A, respectively. 

AnjeliDubey_1-1701722776768.png

However, no matter what value I change these options to, it always returns the same viewshed, as if the values in the attribute table did not affect the output of the function ObserverPoints at all. 

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

you have negative values for RADIUS2?  I don't understand.  Aside from that it might be worth changing your aliases to radius2 etc.  I have a distant memory of having something similar before.

0 Kudos