Select to view content in your preferred language

Map Series Export to PDF - borders around images

Thursday
GB_MattPanunto_GISS
Occasional Contributor II

Using ArcGIS Pro v3.2.1

When exporting a map series layout to PDF, I am having an issue where thin grey borders are showing around my images, and legend in my exported PDFs, however, these borders are not visible in the layout. This issue does not occur when exporting a regular non-map series layout to PDF.

Here is what the image looks like in the exported PDF. It should not have this border:

GB_MattPanunto_GISS_2-1722536536427.png

I tinkered with the Python parameters, as well as the settings within ArcGIS Pro and have narrowed the issue down to the "keep_layout_background" parameter. I get borders around my layout elements when specifying a value of True for this parameter, and I do not when specifying a value of False.

However, I noticed that while the exportToPDF documentation shows this parameter in Python as "keep_layout_background", in ArcGIS Pro, this parameter is named "Remove layout background". The wording of these parameters read in an opposite fashion, however, they seem to behave the same. Specifying a value of True in both Python and ArcGIS Pro produces the border issue in my exported PDFs, while a value of False does not.

GB_MattPanunto_GISS_1-1722536393619.png

I must assume this inconsistent wording is an oversight, and that they should be the same/similar? I also can't explain why this border issue only occurs for a map series layout.

I did see the following posts, and workarounds listed therein, but I seem to be experiencing a somewhat different issue. Disabling the Adobe settings for "Smooth images", "Enhance thin lines", and "Smooth line art" seem to resolve the border issue at first, but they are still visible upon closely zooming into the PDF (~300%). And again, this is only an issue for map series exports.

0 Kudos
0 Replies