learn python for arcmap

Jump to solution
07-03-2021 12:00 PM
MohamadJouni
New Contributor III

I start my first  course in python 3 in Coursera" python for everybody" and it takes about 8 months to complete specialization 

my question is I only need python for ArcMap usage it's good to start to learn all programming code inside python or it will be better and more useful to take a course to learn you only code used in arcmap

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I don’t think it ever hurts to know the general “basics” of a coding language, but if you are trying to get up and running in the GIS world, there are many resources available to get you started. I’m not familiar with the 8-month course, but if you are already familiar with the ArcGIS platform and the concepts of programming, you may be able to pick up what you need in less time. But that is just my opinion. Each person learns differently, so it may come down to how you learn and your goals with python (ArcGIS mainly, or for your job…or other interests). . Python itself, in my experience, is a very fun and robust coding environment, but I’ve been somewhat inactive for a couple years, so take that into consideration.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You need both.  Arcpy is only one module. What is ArcPy?—ArcMap | Documentation (arcgis.com)

And python is only one language. 😉

... sort of retired...
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I don’t think it ever hurts to know the general “basics” of a coding language, but if you are trying to get up and running in the GIS world, there are many resources available to get you started. I’m not familiar with the 8-month course, but if you are already familiar with the ArcGIS platform and the concepts of programming, you may be able to pick up what you need in less time. But that is just my opinion. Each person learns differently, so it may come down to how you learn and your goals with python (ArcGIS mainly, or for your job…or other interests). . Python itself, in my experience, is a very fun and robust coding environment, but I’ve been somewhat inactive for a couple years, so take that into consideration.