Kludge Map Service & other sources

Jump to solution
02-28-2019 02:08 PM
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Opinions, comments and any experiences appreciated!

Problem: Non-spatial REST api (developed and managed with MULESOFT) contains operational data and a reference attribute to tie it to our ArcGIS Server map services.  So far, we've not had a way to represent this in any of our map products.

(note: the non-spatial REST api is not a simple db query and is generated with a wide array of sources, not just RDMBS)

Solution: I developed a .py script to kludge these two services together and publish it out as a GP service.  The output is a simple JSON string with the original operational data and spatial (x/y centroid coordinates).  From that GP service, we pretty much just use the ESRI JavaScript api to represent it on a map product (using an ESRI javascript template app).

Of course, I'd prefer to eliminate the GP service - kludge and have the output as an actual map service as that could be consumed and used far more easily by a wider array of map products.

• Anyone doing this type of thing (merging REST services at the service level rather than at the db)?
  • Performance concerns at some point?
  • Alternative output types for the GP service that would make sense or allow easier consumption?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Developing an SOE has piqued my interest and I may travel down this route.  As far as I can tell, wrapping the kludge into an SOE could potentially allow it to be published as an actual map service rather than this GP service output JSON string (that has to be converted into a map layer client-side).

I'll post any parallel threads if I create one.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Developing an SOE has piqued my interest and I may travel down this route.  As far as I can tell, wrapping the kludge into an SOE could potentially allow it to be published as an actual map service rather than this GP service output JSON string (that has to be converted into a map layer client-side).

I'll post any parallel threads if I create one.

0 Kudos