Jupyter problems from ArcGIS API for Python install

Jump to solution
10-04-2017 01:05 PM
ZacharyHart
Occasional Contributor III

I had tried to work with ESRI regarding this but didn't have much luck. I used the ArcGIS Pro (2.0.0) Python Package Manager (say that 5 time fast) to install the ArcGIS API for Python per the 2nd option described in this blog.  Basically, the shortcuts for launching IPython and Jupyter Notebooks are bad. You can see them attempt to open a cmd window but then fail.

Looking at the shortcut target, there's so much it exceeds the available space for the shortcut! Yes, it ends with that last "C:/P

"C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\python.exe" C:\Users\zhart\AppData\Local\Temp\_MEI129082\cwp.py "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3" "C:/Program Files/ArcGIS/Pro/bin/Python/envs/arcgispro-py3/python.exe" "C:/P

Anyone else experience this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Nice Dan_Patterson   I'll need to take time to reread those since I breezed over the last time.

But for fwiw, I just right clicked on the Anaconda Jupyter Notebook in the Start window (not the Pro one but the other) and pinned it to my task bar.  That fires up Jupyter (a cmd window) and my c: drive contents in the browser window.  If I double-click on one of my .ipnb windows, it opens  and is ready to use.

May not be the correct way, but has been working for me.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

yes, I have them pinned as well... double-clicking on the *.ipnb files will open them as well once everything is set up folder wise.  The biggest problems people seem to have is getting what they want to see rather than going to the old-school 'dos' (aka command line) screen.  To anyone under 25, the C prompt and the black background is daunting

ZacharyHart
Occasional Contributor III

Dan, thanks for that. Couldn't figure out what the target script was!

One other thing since my Pro install (and therefore python 3.x) was placed in C:\Program Files, any user setting up the target in the Windows shortcut will have to use quotes to handle the spaces in the path: "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\stuff\python.exe" "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\stuff\script.py"

[Or just use the C:\PROGRA~1 notation for the executable].

Part of me is still curious why the package manager install didn't configure the shortcuts right in the first place, but this got me setup. Thanks Dan!

0 Kudos