Is it possible to FIRST instantiate a Tkinter window and AFTER the window is open and the user clicks a button, the GUI will accept a Feature Set as input from the user?

05-08-2016 10:28 AM
WesKing
New Contributor

I've been trying to learn Tkinter for a little while now and I have a project I can't figure out.  In short, I want to create a Tkinter GUI that will create a window with 10 buttons.  When clicked, one of the buttons will be used to accept a digitized feature (Feature Set) from the user and then place it in a Feature Class.  I'm running into a problem where if the Tkinter window is instantiated first, the Feature Set input does not seem to work.  I have written another script in the past where the Feature Set is accepted as user input BEFORE the Tkinter window is instantiated, then I pass the input as an argument to the class that creates the window, and everything works fine.  But in this case it is a requirement that the Tkinter window be instantiated first, and later the Feature Set be accepted as user input following clicking the button.

Does anyone know how to do this?  If so, how?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

A search on GeoNet using Tkinter reveals a long history of 'issues' that don't appear to be resolved since that part of python is not supported by esri in any formal way.