Select to view content in your preferred language

Is anyone else using python to directly interact with their DBMS?

09-10-2014 01:09 PM
ChrisMathers
Regular Contributor II

I use pypodbc to connect and query my SQL servers on occasion and was curious if anyone else was doing this as well. If you are, what module are you using?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
TedChapin
Occasional Contributor III

pyodbc is really good.

0 Kudos
ThomasStanley-Jones
New Contributor III

I'm curious what pyodbc will give you.  Arrays of the tables to use with Numpy?  Do you use it to feed spatial objects into the arcpy tools?

I used comtypes and ArcObjects to connect and get the data from SQLServer because then I can play with it in ArcObjects.  I'm guessing pyodbc gives you an object that Arcpy can use.

0 Kudos
TedChapin
Occasional Contributor III

Using pyodbc for row-level access to business tables, SDE, SQL Spatial, and non-spatial.  Reading and updating data.  Inserting and deleting data in the case of non-SDE tables. 

0 Kudos
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Thomas,

I haven't worked with pyodbc because we are an Oracle shop, but I think this example would likely apply just as well.  To answer your question, yes, we convert back and forth between NumPy arrays, Pandas DataFrames and gdb objects.  This is just showing acessing and using non-spatial table containing x/y coord values converting to a NumPy array and then a Feature Class.

import arcpy 

import cx_Oracle 

import numpy as np 

### Build a DSN (can be subsitited for a TNS name)      

dsn = cx_Oracle.makedsn(param1, param2, param3)      

oradb = cx_Oracle.connect("username", "password", dsn)      

cursor = oradb.cursor() 

sqlQry = """SELECT MyTableOrView.SomeField1 AS SomeTEXTField, 

CAST(TO_CHAR(MyTableOrView.x_coords, 'fm9999999.90') AS FLOAT) AS x_coords, 

CAST(TO_CHAR(MyTableOrView.y_coords, 'fm9999999.90') AS FLOAT) AS y_coords 

FROM MyTableOrView""" 

cursor.execute(sqlQry) 

datArray = [] 

cxRows = cursor.fetchall() 

for cxRow in cxRows: 

datArray.append(cxRow) 

#close the conn to ora 

cursor.close()  

oradb.close() 

del cxRows, cursor  

numpyarr_out = np.array(datArray, np.dtype([('SomeTEXTField', '|S25'), ('x_coords', '<f8'), ('y_coords', '<f8')])) 

#convert the numpyarray to a gdb feature class 

outFC = r'C:\MyGDB\xyPoints_FromStrings 

if arcpy.Exists(outFC): 

arcpy.Delete_management(outFC) 

arcpy.da.NumPyArrayToFeatureClass(numpyarr_out, outFC, ("x_coords", "y_coords"))