Select to view content in your preferred language

Install and import python package modules from a shared drive

02-16-2022 04:03 PM
Labels (1)
ThomasThompson
New Contributor

In a natural resources setting, we have a systems of plots out in the woods. Each plot center is known. From each plot center we need to be able to locate 3 subplots at a specified distance and azimuth, taking magnetic declination into account. I have written a python script to calculate those locations using the python packages pyproj and geomag. These are not included in the default Anaconda install and clearly can't be added. I can create my own conda copy environment, or even install my own separate Anaconda copy to use the script personally. However, to share this script with other users would require them to also create a separate conda environment in some manner and install the packages. I am hoping that there is a way to 'install' the required packages on a shared NAS drive, add that folder the sys.path and have those packages available to others. I've tried many of the methods out there resulting from my google search, but little luck so far.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried sharing an environment.yml file? In my experience, that's the quickest/easiest way to get other users up to speed with an equivalent env.

You can also create and share your envs through Anaconda itself and create an organization on there, but it's not something I've used extensively.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos