inconsistent Arcpy.Mapping behaviour

07-31-2014 10:55 AM
JoshuaChan
New Contributor III

I've written a script using Arcpy.mapping module to automate map making. It works as a one-off for use in ArcMap if I use the ArcToolbox to call the script. But if I call it from python (eclipse) I get weird error messages ("ExecuteError: ERROR 000358: Invalid expression") pointing towards the "Select by Layer" tool. But it executes fine if run from ArcToolbox, no errors... same script.

Part 2: I gave up running it from Eclipse and ran it from ArcToolbox within ArcMap. Now I'm trying to run a batch - multiple maps. It used to work until this morning. this morning I made the most minor of changes... to check to see if a variable.upper() == 'YES'

again, this works in the "one-off" scenario within ArcMap called from ArcToolbox. But I'm trying to run my batch script (also called by ArcToolbox) and I get that same query error as above. Why is that? it's the exact same script. I don't want to interactively run this script in ArcMap for all 350+ maps. Why is arcpy.mapping so flaky? Is there a way to fix this???

0 Kudos
28 Replies
JoshuaChan
New Contributor III

p.s. I've uploaded the most recent version of the batch script and the other one.

minor changes included checking for upper case value for a text variable, changing a UNC path to a drive letter mapping, and adding a bunch of Add Message to see where it's bombing.

search for "check 1" "check 2" etc and you'll see... it doesn't get to check 6.

0 Kudos
ThomasStanley-Jones
New Contributor III

I think "ListLayers" returns a list.  I'm assuming that you are only expecting one layer called "Dimensions" to be returned.  Try changing this:

arcpy.mapping.UpdateLayer(dFrame, upLyr, srcLyr, False)

to this:

arcpy.mapping.UpdateLayer(dFrame, upLyr[0], srcLyr, False)

0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

yea, you are missing an 0 index on a listlayers by check 3

arcpy.AddMessage("check 3")

#upLyr = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(self.mxd, "Dimensions", dFrame)[0]

upLyr = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(self.mxd, "Dimensions", dFrame)

0 Kudos
JoshuaChan
New Contributor III

i've tried both 0 and not 0 (i've taken turns commenting out one or the other one)

same result... bombs before check 6

0 Kudos
JoshuaChan
New Contributor III

if I leave the [0] in there I just got an error saying "list index out of range".

But I do have a layer called "Dimensions" in my mxd... I just double checked

TOC_Dimensions.JPG

I decided to close out ArcMap - re open ArcMap and now the error message has reverted back to the

"

ERROR 000358: Invalid expression

Failed to execute (SelectLayerByAttribute).

"

very weird because other than re-activating the line upLyr = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(self.mxd, "Dimensions", dFrame)[0]

I didn't do anything different.   Seems so random.

0 Kudos
JoshuaChan
New Contributor III

I closed ArcMap again, re opened and now I'm back at the List Index out of range error for the updateLayer

0 Kudos
ToddUlery
Occasional Contributor

How come your using this OO formatted python script?

Seems like a few added steps, for what may seem to cut time.

0 Kudos
JoshuaChan
New Contributor III

@ToddUlery

the idea was to utilize python to be able to send a batch of maps - 350+

it included lots of customization like truncating text fields, creating text files where it was truncated, adding text if it meets certain conditions, filtering out a layer, zooming to it, etc. Not all of those functions are readily available in Data Driven Pages yet.

as for OO formatting I'm still learning this stuff. I was told that programming best practices in python (or anything else) was to use modules, classes, etc

0 Kudos
JoshuaChan
New Contributor III

P.S. is there a way to order these replies by date? it's pretty confusing... I don't know where my last addition to this thread went to now.

0 Kudos