IDLE subprocess error

07-09-2012 11:20 PM
SteveDugdale
New Contributor
I'm using IDLE as my Python interface (enforced by Central IT I think).  Sometimes I get the error messages shown in the attachment.  Mostly I can be happily running a script for a while and then I get these errors.  On other occasions they appear when I start IDLE for the first time before I have even opened a script.  The only solution I have found is restarting my PC and logging on again (which takes ages).

Has anyone come across this problem and got a solution which is quicker than a PC restart?

Thanks

Steve
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarcinGasior
Occasional Contributor III
The second error may be the hint - try adding python.exe to firewall exceptions.

Exact path should be like this:
C:\Python26\ArcGIS10.0\python.exe
0 Kudos
SteveDugdale
New Contributor
Hi Marcin,
Thanks for your suggestion.  Unfortunately I can't act on it as I work in an organisation where individual users do not have the required "admin rights" to change firewall access.  I have raised this with our centralised IT department. 

When I open up the Python IDLE "shell" the text below always appears.  Most of the time I don't have a problem running scripts.  Only occasionally do I get the error which I don't think is anything to do with the script itself (e.g. today I couldn't even open any scripts as I couldn't get beyond the error messages previously posted).  This suggests that it might be an "environment" problem, but as I mentioned, I can't find any way round it other than a PC restart.

I guess I'll have to see what our internal IT department suggest unless you have any other suggestions?

Best wishes,
Steve

Python 2.6.5 (r265:79096, Mar 19 2010, 21:48:26) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
Type "copyright", "credits" or "license()" for more information.

Personal firewall software may warn about the connection IDLE
    makes to its subprocess using this computer's internal loopback
    interface.  This connection is not visible on any external
    interface and no data is sent to or received from the Internet.

IDLE 2.6.5     
>>>
0 Kudos