How to use Search/Update Cursor to update values of one feature class to another?

08-10-2016 03:25 PM
GeoffreyWest
Occasional Contributor III

Taken from gis.stackexchange.com

I have a process which requires me to update the data of an application every week. The application's data is in an .SDE database while the updated data is in a file geodatabase. The updated data could contain new features or have features removed. The dataset has a relationship class which is why I do not want to delete the feature class. How should this example be adjusted to completely overwrite or update all rows from my FGDB to my .SDE database?

import arcpy
fields = "HOUSENO; DIR; STREET; DPAFEEDER; LSDATE; REMARKS; ACCOUNT_NO, SYMBOLROTATION"

fgdbRows = arcpy.SearchCursor(r'Q:\GWP_LifeSupport.gdb\LifeSupport', '''DPAFEEDER IS NOT NULL''', "", fields, "")
for aRow in fgdbRows:
   print (aRow.HOUSENO, aRow.DIR, aRow.STREET, aRow.UNIT, aRow.DPAFEEDER, aRow.LSDATE, aRow.REMARKS, aRow.ACCOUNT_NO, aRow.SYMBOLROTATION)

sdeLs = arcpy.UpdateCursor(r'Database Connections\gisDev01.sde\SDEDEV.SDE.LifeSupport')

for row in sdeLs:
  sdeLs.updateRow(aRow)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Given that your primary/authoritative data is in an enterprise geodatabase, you might be better off using geodatabase replication (See Understanding distributed data).  Unless I misunderstand your situation, this is one of the use cases geodatabase replication was designed around.  Esri has already done the hard work, why not leverage it.