How to use defined parameters in a tool ?

Jump to solution
08-07-2014 04:15 AM
CARMETSandrine
New Contributor II

I'm very new at python, and I don't understand how to use the defined parameters in the source code of the tool.

I'm trying to create a tool (with clip and contour tools) who can be used by any user (not specified folders or classes). My script is in attachment.

Can somebody take a look ? :S

Thanks

0 Kudos
14 Replies
CARMETSandrine
New Contributor II

Thanks Adam for the tips ! I'm going to take a look

0 Kudos
ToddUlery
Occasional Contributor

This is not helpful to the problem, but just curious why the choice for a python toolbox.
I just haven't found a reason to do this yet.

I am currently looking into your problem though.

0 Kudos
CARMETSandrine
New Contributor II

I create this python toolbox to facilitate a big number of tasks by automating a sucession of tools.

But I find out the solution thanks to all for your advices.

I was just complicating myself with a tons of parameters.

Thanks everyone!

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

To get you started, have a look at the code below. Use this script by adding it as a script to a new toolbox.

Define the 5 parameters as explained on line 18 - 22

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Name:        clip_contour.py

# Purpose:     clip raster and create contours

#

# Author:      Sandrine Carmet

#

# Created:     08/08/2014

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

class LicenseError(Exception):

pass

def main():

import arcpy

import os

# read the parameters

fc_extent = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(0) # define as featurelayer, filter polygon, direction input

ras_in = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(1) # define as rasterlayer, direction input

ras_clip = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(2) # define as raster dataset, direction output

fc_contour = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(3) # define as featureclass, direction output

interval = arcpy.GetParameter(4) # define as Double, set min and max range, provide default

# configuration of contours

contour_interval = interval # not 4...

base_contour = 0

z_factor = 1

try:

if arcpy.CheckExtension("3D") == "Available":

arcpy.CheckOutExtension("3D")

else:

# raise exception

raise LicenseError

# set in memory workspace

arcpy.env.workspace = "IN_MEMORY"

# Determine the extent of the fc

extent = arcpy.Describe(fc_extent).extent

ext_txt = "{0} {1} {2} {3}".format(extent.XMin, extent.YMin, extent.XMax, extent.YMax)

# Clip the raster

arcpy.Clip_management(ras_in, ext_txt, ras_clip, fc_extent, "#", "ClippingGeometry")

# Create the contours

arcpy.Contour_3d(ras_clip, fc_contour, contour_interval, base_contour, z_factor)

# return license

arcpy.CheckInExtension("3D")

# outputs are automatically added to the TOC...

except LicenseError:

print("3D Analyst license is unavailable")

except arcpy.ExecuteError:

print(arcpy.GetMessages(2))

if __name__ == '__main__':

main()

Once you run the script successfully, you can go to the Results windows and see the syntax for executing the script.

# Replace a layer/table view name with a path to a dataset (which can be a layer file) or create the layer/table view within the script

# The following inputs are layers or table views: "pols", "DEMsmpro"

arcpy.ClipRasterCreateContours("pols","DEMsmpro","D:/Xander/grd/test_clip","D:/Xander/tmp/test2.gdb/test_contours","50")

You could create another script that simply executes this script or change the script to work with a list of inputs.

Kind regards, Xander

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I agree that Python toolboxes (.pyt) are not always the best choice -- and definitely not for beginners. I too have not found a compelling case to go there yet.

The main advantages I see as this point are 1) better capability in parameter validation (especially with complex parameter inputs like value tables and 2) a fully-python solution for people that are very fluent in that environment.  Some downsides include all the external files .pyt requires (each tool documentation is a separate XML file) and more difficult debugging (for most people).

I totally recommend you going back to the tbx way of doing it.